Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turn the lights out

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I am hearing mutterings over the radio that parts of uk may be turning off
    the street lights in the early hours, Essex was mentioned, hang on now i
    hear 11 to 5, cool or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

NO! Are they daft?! That's when they're needed most, unless the whole bloody city goes dormant in those hours. The whole point of street lights is that they come on when it's dark out.

4. Jul 18, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

To save money or maintain margin to stability of the grid. If it's hot and people are using air-conditioners, then perhaps the demand on the electrical grid is pushing a limit - usually with marging to the failure limit.

In parts of the US, there is a risk for brown-outs or black-outs this summer - especially if the heat wave continues.

5. Jul 18, 2006 #4

J77

Only a selfish idiot would need A/C in the UK.

Strange they should turn the lights off - bet they wish they could do that to the leaking water :biggrin:

6. Jul 18, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Seem the idea is to save money, (there could be other reasons) :uhh: but
    not stated, i think it will be great if the lights go out, for more than one reason.

As for the Uk curing its water leaks :surprised heck that would be harder than laughing at Dangers jokes :tongue2:

7. Jul 18, 2006 #6

Evo

Aren't the lights supposed to be for people's safety?

8. Jul 18, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Yes, urban street lighting does reduce crime because the visibility means certain people are less likely to commit a crime.

But then there is the "cost/benefit" factor. A government may decide to reduce cost by turning off lights (reducing cost of electricity), as long as the cost of crime doesn't exceed the cost of electricity - or something like that. :rolleyes:

9. Jul 18, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Around here, they began shutting down every other street light during the 'energy crisis'. Cut the electricity used by a substantial amount while really not creating much room for concern since the lights tended to be really close together in the first place.

10. Jul 18, 2006 #9

Evo

What kills my here is that at night you see empty buildings with every single light left on. My company is a terrible abuser when it comes to electricity.

I think endagering lives by turning off street lights is a foolish way to save a couple of bucks. Surely there are less dangerous ways to cut costs.

11. Jul 18, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

I think solving crime is not very high on any agenda in the uk, i have some personal accounts of when criminals could have been caught red handed, if
    the nearest copper was not 50 miles away handing out speeding tickets.

The police are very generous though, they give you a crime number, may be
    the following day, if they are not to busy on the roads, or locked in non operational police stations doing paper work.

12. Jul 18, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well if he was 50 miles away... :uhh:

13. Jul 18, 2006 #12
    Someone should tell the Belgiums that. They waste so much energy lighting up Highways/Motorways at night, its crazy. Only country I know that does it.

14. Jul 18, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Our freeways are blacked out at night for the most part!

15. Jul 18, 2006 #14

wolram

Gold Member

There is,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3086905.stm

But that would mean shifting any one caught to some other benift system,
    we brits throw our money about like ticker tape.

16. Jul 18, 2006 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Speeding tickets are more important than crime solving, take the cops off the road and put some on the street.

17. Jul 18, 2006 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Well at least you are safe.

18. Jul 18, 2006 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Crime prevention isn't the issue in my town, although it probably cuts down a lot on kid-type vandalism (which there's too much of anyhow). It's more a matter of people being able to see where they're going when walking at night, without having to lug flashlights around everywhere. It's no fun to trip over a curb or a thistle growing out of a sidewalk crack, or much worse stuff along the streets without sidewalks.

That's only fair; I have a lot of trouble not laughing at your serious posts.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  19. Jul 18, 2006 #18

wolram

Gold Member

Serious posts :confused:

I guess this 24/7 thing is growing, in my youth every respectable person was in bed by 10.

20. Jul 18, 2006 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Well of course, before they had artificial lighting... :rolleyes:

21. Jul 18, 2006 #20

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Guys,

The truth is.... that lighting has almost no correlation with crime.

http://www.darksky.org/resources/information-sheets/is063.html

That's right... those brightly-lit areas aren't actually any safer; the lighting just makes you think they are.

Also from the International Dark Sky Association:

Oh yeah -- criminals need light to see what they're doing, too!

I firmly support the idea of reducing urban lighting to the minimum necessary, for numerous reasons.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?