1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turnbuckle rotation

1. Oct 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

in this problem , it's not clear that whether the shortening of 1.5mm is for which rod , there are 3 rods in the diagram and forces applied at which part to cause the rotation ... ....
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can somenoe explain about it ? if the forces is applied at rod Ef , then rod EF will shorten , and both rod AB and rod CD will either undergo shortening and lengthening , right ?

Attached Files:

• 388.PNG
      388.PNG
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem statement says..

So it's clear that rod EF is the one being shortened. This will change the tension in the other two rods.

4. Oct 20, 2016 #3
    Is it a must that when the rod EF is shorten, then the rod AB and CD will extend?? I am confused....

5. Oct 20, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. If you shorten EF then AB and CD must get longer/extend. The total length (vertical component of BF) remains constant.

6. Oct 20, 2016 #5
    The 0.0015 is the total length? I m confused ....

7. Oct 21, 2016 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps forget I mentioned the total length. You can't work it out because the rods "overlap".

I'm struggling to read the worked answer in the image. Can you post an enlargement?

8. Oct 22, 2016 #7

Attached Files:

• 390.PNG
      390.PNG
      File size:
      51.9 KB
      Views:
  9. Oct 22, 2016 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK the way to visualise this is to imagine that the rods have been assembled with no tension to set the initial length. Then they are disconnected and the lower rod is shortened by 1.5mm (0.0015m). Then the rods are reconnected. That requires the combination of rods to be stretched 1.5mm.

There are two rods at the top and one at the bottom so the 1.5mm is divided unequally between the top rods and the bottom rod. That's why they have an equation/sum that adds up to 0.0015m.

They also have another equation that relates the tension in the top two rods to the bottom rod. That's arrived at by noting that the system is in static equilibrium so the net force on beam is zero.

Now they have two equations and two unknowns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted