Turning effect of forces and min force

In summary, the question asks what is the minimum force X that must be applied in order to stop the door from turning. The answer is X=35Nm clockwise.
tyana21
diagram.jpg

to find the moment of force X about A,is the working
20x1.4=0.8X
X=35Nm clockwise.

and what does it mean when the question asks "what is the minimum force X that must be applied in order to stop the door from turning?"

does that mean it has to be in equilibrum?

Physics news on Phys.org
tyana21 said:
to find the moment of force X about A,is the working
20x1.4=0.8X
X=35Nm clockwise.
X is the force; the moment of the force is just the force times the moment arm (distance to pivot).

and what does it mean when the question asks "what is the minimum force X that must be applied in order to stop the door from turning?"
The force F exerts a moment tending to turn the door; force X must exert an opposite moment to cancel it.

does that mean it has to be in equilibrum?
Yes, rotational equilibrium.

(FYI: It's always a good idea to state the problem exactly as given.)

Doc Al said:
Yes, rotational equilibrium.

(FYI: It's always a good idea to state the problem exactly as given.)

okay the question is "what is the minimum force X that must be applied in order to stop the door from turning?"

(p.s.,i'm not quite sure as i didnt attend school today and this is part of my homework from my physics workbook)

tyana21 said:
okay the question is "what is the minimum force X that must be applied in order to stop the door from turning?"
And you already solved for that force X. :wink: (Even if you didn't recognize it as such.)

oh,i see.but then the question is phrased in two parts.does this mean that i can just bring forward the answer?

What are the two parts? State the complete problem exactly as given.

a) Calculate the moment of the force X about A.

b) what is the minimum firce X that must be applied in order to stop the door from turning?

tyana21 said:
a) Calculate the moment of the force X about A.

b) what is the minimum firce X that must be applied in order to stop the door from turning?
Good. In the light of my previous posts, can you answer each part?

Doc Al said:
Good. In the light of my previous posts, can you answer each part?

so does that mean that both questions the answers are the same?
because you previously said that i actually answered the question without me knowing

tyana21 said:
so does that mean that both questions the answers are the same?
No, the answers are not the same. The first part asks for a moment; the second part for a force.
because you previously said that i actually answered the question without me knowing
Right. You actually solved for the force (X) when you thought you had solved for the moment.

I interpret the first question as a general question that helps you answer the second question. For a force X that is a certain distance from the axis, what's the moment?

so the answer is 28Nm,right?

tyana21 said:
so the answer is 28Nm,right?
That's the moment needed to produce equilibrium, but I don't think that's what they are looking for in question a. (They don't even bring up the idea of preventing the door from turning until question b.)

I think they just wanted a general answer. The moment of a force (F) at a perpendicular distance (d) from an axis is Fd. So just plug in what you know about the force X. (At this point, X is just some unknown force. But you do know the distance from the axis.)

ah i see
thanks fr the help!
i got to go now :)
once again thanks!

1. What is the turning effect of forces?

The turning effect of forces, also known as torque, is the measure of how much a force acting on an object causes it to rotate around a specific point or axis.

2. How is the turning effect of forces calculated?

The turning effect of forces is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. This can be expressed as T = F x d, where T is the torque, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What are some real-life examples of the turning effect of forces?

The turning effect of forces can be observed in many everyday activities, such as opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, or riding a bicycle. It is also important in more complex systems, such as the rotation of the Earth around its axis.

4. How does the minimum force required for a turning effect differ from the maximum force?

The minimum force required for a turning effect, also known as the equilibrium or balancing force, is the smallest amount of force needed to keep an object in rotational equilibrium. On the other hand, the maximum force is the largest amount of force that can be applied without causing the object to rotate.

5. Is the turning effect of forces affected by the point of rotation?

Yes, the point of rotation, also known as the pivot point, is a crucial factor in determining the turning effect of forces. A force acting at a greater perpendicular distance from the pivot point will have a larger turning effect compared to the same force acting at a shorter distance.