1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turning effect of forces

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

to find the moment of force X about A,is the working
    20x1.4=0.8X
    X=35Nm clockwise.

and what does it mean when the question asks "what is the minimum force X that must be applied in order to stop the door from turning?"

does that mean it has to be in equilibrum?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

X is the force; the moment of the force is just the force times the moment arm (distance to pivot).

The force F exerts a moment tending to turn the door; force X must exert an opposite moment to cancel it.

Yes, rotational equilibrium.

(FYI: It's always a good idea to state the problem exactly as given.)

4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    okay the question is "what is the minimum force X that must be applied in order to stop the door from turning?"

(p.s.,i'm not quite sure as i didnt attend school today and this is part of my homework from my physics workbook)

5. Mar 17, 2008 #4

Doc Al

And you already solved for that force X. :wink: (Even if you didn't recognize it as such.)

6. Mar 17, 2008 #5
    oh,i see.but then the question is phrased in two parts.does this mean that i can just bring forward the answer?

7. Mar 17, 2008 #6

Doc Al

What are the two parts? State the complete problem exactly as given.

8. Mar 17, 2008 #7
    a) Calculate the moment of the force X about A.

b) what is the minimum firce X that must be applied in order to stop the door from turning?

9. Mar 17, 2008 #8

Doc Al

Good. In the light of my previous posts, can you answer each part?

10. Mar 17, 2008 #9
    so does that mean that both questions the answers are the same?
    because you previously said that i actually answered the question without me knowing

11. Mar 17, 2008 #10

Doc Al

No, the answers are not the same. The first part asks for a moment; the second part for a force.
    Right. You actually solved for the force (X) when you thought you had solved for the moment.

I interpret the first question as a general question that helps you answer the second question. For a force X that is a certain distance from the axis, what's the moment?

12. Mar 17, 2008 #11
    so the answer is 28Nm,right?

13. Mar 17, 2008 #12

Doc Al

That's the moment needed to produce equilibrium, but I don't think that's what they are looking for in question a. (They don't even bring up the idea of preventing the door from turning until question b.)

I think they just wanted a general answer. The moment of a force (F) at a perpendicular distance (d) from an axis is Fd. So just plug in what you know about the force X. (At this point, X is just some unknown force. But you do know the distance from the axis.)

14. Mar 17, 2008 #13
    ah i see
    thanks fr the help!
    i got to go now :)
    once again thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?