Balancing Forces: Calculating Center of Mass and Support Distance

In summary, the conversation involves determining the distance from a rubber and a ruler to balance the system. The formula for calculating the center of mass is mentioned, which can be used to determine the point where the system will be balanced. The solution to the problem is given as 9.0cm.
Miri

Homework Statement

A 20g rubber is lying on the end of a 30cm long 30g ruler. Determine how far from the rubber you have to support the ruler with your finger to keep the system balanced.

Homework Equations

I know that I have to calculate the forces which act downwards: the rubber: 20*10^-3kg * 9.81m/s^2 and the ruler: 30*10^-3 * 9.81m/s^2 and then I don't know what to do...Do I have to add them to get the force which is acting upwards? Or how do I get the distance from the rubber to my finger? The solution is 9.0cm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Miri said:

Homework Statement

A 20g rubber is lying on the end of a 30cm long 30g ruler. Determine how far from the rubber you have to support the ruler with your finger to keep the system balanced.

Homework Equations

I know that I have to calculate the forces which act downwards: the rubber: 20*10^-3kg * 9.81m/s^2 and the ruler: 30*10^-3 * 9.81m/s^2 and then I don't know what to do...Do I have to add them to get the force which is acting upwards? Or how do I get the distance from the rubber to my finger? The solution is 9.0cm.

Consider the length away that the center of mass of just the ruler alone will need to be from your finger to balance the rubber?

The moment of the cener of mass will need to counteract the moment of the rubber to be in balance.

So you mean that the force which is pointing downwards (the one from the ruler) has to be equal to zero when you subtracted the force of the rubber? I don't really get what you mean? Can you help me with giving me a formula which relates those two forces so that I can find out the distance. Isn't there a force pointing upwards in this whole system? The one which you could calculate by adding the masses of the objects...?

Miri said:
So you mean that the force which is pointing downwards (the one from the ruler) has to be equal to zero when you subtracted the force of the rubber? I don't really get what you mean? Can you help me with giving me a formula which relates those two forces so that I can find out the distance. Isn't there a force pointing upwards in this whole system? The one which you could calculate by adding the masses of the objects...?

There is only one force pointing upward ... the finger.

There are 2 forces pointing downward. The center of mass of the rubber. The center of mass of the ruler.

When the center of mass of the combined system is over the finger pushing up, the system is in balance.

Generally speaking the ∑(Cm*m)/∑m is the center of mass of the system.

So what exactly does this mean? :∑(Cm*m)/∑m, can you give me another formula? When the two forces which are pointing downward are added, then you should get the force which is pointing upward, so the force of your finger. But like I calculated it, it doesn't work...

Can somebody help me? I have my matura exams next week :S Thanks and have a nice weekend

Miri said:
So what exactly does this mean? :∑(Cm*m)/∑m, can you give me another formula? When the two forces which are pointing downward are added, then you should get the force which is pointing upward, so the force of your finger. But like I calculated it, it doesn't work...

It means the sum of the weighted locations of the centers of mass of a system divided by the total mass is where the center of mass of the system is. (Or think of it as the weighted average of the the individual centers of mass give the center of mass for the system.)

Armed with that you can use the center of mass at the ruler and the center of mass of the rubber and determine the center of mass. And that is where you want to use your finger to balance the two.

What is meant by "turning effects of forces 2"?

The turning effect of forces 2, also known as torque, is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis. It is dependent on the magnitude of the force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied.

What is the formula for calculating turning effects of forces 2?

The formula for calculating torque is torque = force x distance x sine of angle. This formula is based on the cross product of the force vector and the distance vector.

What are some real-life examples of turning effects of forces 2?

Some examples of turning effects of forces 2 include opening a door, tightening a bolt with a wrench, and using a screwdriver to turn a screw. In each of these cases, a force is applied at a distance from an axis of rotation, resulting in a torque that causes the object to rotate.

How does the direction of the force affect the turning effect?

The direction of the force is an important factor in determining the turning effect. If the force is applied perpendicular to the distance vector, it will have the maximum turning effect. However, if the force is applied at an angle, the turning effect will be reduced based on the sine of that angle.

How is the turning effect of forces 2 related to stability?

The turning effect of forces 2 plays a crucial role in the stability of an object. The greater the torque, the more likely an object is to rotate. This is why it is important to distribute weight evenly and place objects with a high center of mass close to the ground to increase stability and prevent tipping over.