Turning glutamate into ribose-5-phosphate

• Thread starter NicolasL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turning
In summary, to make 3 moles of ribose-5-P from glutamate, you would need a total of 10 pyruvates, 6 moles of NADPH, and possibly other pathways such as glucose-6-P and erythrose-4-P.
NicolasL

Homework Statement

The question is simple: how much moles of ribose-5-P can you make from glutamate?

The Attempt at a Solution

I first turned glutamate into alpha ketoglutarate. I then put it in the Krebs cycle turning it into oxaloacetate. I then used the anaplerotic reactions to turn it into pyruvate. The pyruvate is transformed through neoglucogenesis to 2 fructose-6-P and glyceraldehyde-3-P (I think I need 5 pyruvates for this). I then put them into the pentose phosphate pathway which gives me 1 mole of ribose-5-P, but the answer should be 3 moles. Any help ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is correct, but there are a few things to consider. First, you mentioned using 5 pyruvates for neoglucogenesis, but this only yields 1 fructose-6-P and 1 glyceraldehyde-3-P. So you would need a total of 10 pyruvates to get 2 fructose-6-P and 2 glyceraldehyde-3-P for the pentose phosphate pathway.

Second, the pentose phosphate pathway can also produce NADPH in addition to ribose-5-P. So for every 1 mole of ribose-5-P, you would also produce 2 moles of NADPH. This means that for 3 moles of ribose-5-P, you would need a total of 6 moles of NADPH.

Lastly, the pentose phosphate pathway can also produce other sugars such as glucose-6-P and erythrose-4-P, which can then be converted to ribose-5-P. So you may need to consider these other pathways as well in your calculation.

Overall, it is difficult to give an exact answer without knowing the specific conditions and enzymes involved in the process. But with these considerations in mind, you should be able to adjust your calculation to get a more accurate answer.

1. How is glutamate converted into ribose-5-phosphate?

Glutamate is first converted into alpha-ketoglutarate through a process called transamination. Then, alpha-ketoglutarate is converted into ribose-5-phosphate through a series of reactions involving enzymes such as transketolase and transaldolase.

2. What is the purpose of turning glutamate into ribose-5-phosphate?

Ribose-5-phosphate is an essential building block for nucleic acids, such as DNA and RNA. It is also involved in the production of important molecules like ATP and NADH.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of this conversion process?

The efficiency of converting glutamate into ribose-5-phosphate is influenced by factors such as the availability of enzymes involved in the reactions, the concentration of substrates (glutamate and alpha-ketoglutarate), and the presence of co-factors like thiamine pyrophosphate and magnesium.

4. Are there any diseases or disorders associated with defects in this conversion process?

Yes, defects in the enzymes involved in converting glutamate into ribose-5-phosphate can lead to disorders such as thiamine-responsive megaloblastic anemia (TRMA) and transaldolase deficiency. These disorders can cause symptoms like anemia, neurological problems, and developmental delays.

5. Can this conversion process be artificially manipulated in any way?

Yes, scientists have been able to artificially modify enzymes involved in this conversion process to increase its efficiency or alter its direction. This has potential applications in biotechnology and medicine, such as creating more efficient pathways for the production of important molecules or treating disorders associated with defects in this process.