Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Turning Moments

1. Dec 27, 2006 #1
    1. How can turning moments be applied in everyday life? It may be advantageous to give worked examples in each case.

2. Can I use wheels & wrenches as examples? Can you please give me more examples?

3. I really don't know what examples I could work from the wheels and wrenches.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wheels and wrenches would be excellent examples. Others could include see-saws, Ferris wheels, pulleys etc. :smile:

4. Dec 27, 2006 #3
    Look around , you will find plenty of examples.Any tool in which point of application of force and the actually point where we need the rotation/turning ...:shy:

5. Dec 27, 2006 #4
    Look around , you will find plenty of examples.Any tool in which point of application of force and the actually point where we need the rotation/turning ...:shy: are distanced..serves as an example.

6. Dec 27, 2006 #5
    One example could be a simple as opening a jar.

7. Dec 27, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How about turbomachinery which drive generators which induce electric currents which drive machines/pumps? Jet engines that power aircraft and piston combustion engines that propel cars, buses, railroad locomotives, boats/ships. How about bicycles? Mechanical clocks and watches.

8. Dec 28, 2006 #7
    How can I give/do worked examples... in terms of calculations and data?

9. Dec 28, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pick some questions from your textbook and work through them, or make up your own questions (let your imagination run wild :tongue2: ).

10. Dec 28, 2006 #9
    I meantlike force applied, distance etc... :(

11. Dec 28, 2006 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A mechanic needs to change a tyre on a car. To undo a wheel nut requires 20Nm of torque. If the mechanic has a wrench of length 30cm, how much force must he exert on the end of wrench in order to undo the wheel nut?

[Ladders leaning against walls also make good questions :wink:]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook