• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Turning Moments

1. How can turning moments be applied in everyday life? It may be advantageous to give worked examples in each case.

2. Can I use wheels & wrenches as examples? Can you please give me more examples?

3. I really don't know what examples I could work from the wheels and wrenches.

Answers and Replies

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wheels and wrenches would be excellent examples. Others could include see-saws, Ferris wheels, pulleys etc. :smile:

Look around , you will find plenty of examples.Any tool in which point of application of force and the actually point where we need the rotation/turning ...:shy:

Look around , you will find plenty of examples.Any tool in which point of application of force and the actually point where we need the rotation/turning ...:shy: are distanced..serves as an example.

One example could be a simple as opening a jar.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
1. How can turning moments be applied in everyday life? It may be advantageous to give worked examples in each case.
How about turbomachinery which drive generators which induce electric currents which drive machines/pumps? Jet engines that power aircraft and piston combustion engines that propel cars, buses, railroad locomotives, boats/ships. How about bicycles? Mechanical clocks and watches.

How can I give/do worked examples... in terms of calculations and data?

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How can I give/do worked examples... in terms of calculations and data?
Pick some questions from your textbook and work through them, or make up your own questions (let your imagination run wild :tongue2: ).

I meantlike force applied, distance etc... :(

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A mechanic needs to change a tyre on a car. To undo a wheel nut requires 20Nm of torque. If the mechanic has a wrench of length 30cm, how much force must he exert on the end of wrench in order to undo the wheel nut?

[Ladders leaning against walls also make good questions :wink:]