1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turning Moments

1. Dec 27, 2006 #1
    1. How can turning moments be applied in everyday life? It may be advantageous to give worked examples in each case.

2. Can I use wheels & wrenches as examples? Can you please give me more examples?

3. I really don't know what examples I could work from the wheels and wrenches.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wheels and wrenches would be excellent examples. Others could include see-saws, Ferris wheels, pulleys etc. :smile:

4. Dec 27, 2006 #3
    Look around , you will find plenty of examples.Any tool in which point of application of force and the actually point where we need the rotation/turning ...:shy:

5. Dec 27, 2006 #4
    Look around , you will find plenty of examples.Any tool in which point of application of force and the actually point where we need the rotation/turning ...:shy: are distanced..serves as an example.

6. Dec 27, 2006 #5
    One example could be a simple as opening a jar.

7. Dec 27, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

How about turbomachinery which drive generators which induce electric currents which drive machines/pumps? Jet engines that power aircraft and piston combustion engines that propel cars, buses, railroad locomotives, boats/ships. How about bicycles? Mechanical clocks and watches.

8. Dec 28, 2006 #7
    How can I give/do worked examples... in terms of calculations and data?

9. Dec 28, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pick some questions from your textbook and work through them, or make up your own questions (let your imagination run wild :tongue2: ).

10. Dec 28, 2006 #9
    I meantlike force applied, distance etc... :(

11. Dec 28, 2006 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A mechanic needs to change a tyre on a car. To undo a wheel nut requires 20Nm of torque. If the mechanic has a wrench of length 30cm, how much force must he exert on the end of wrench in order to undo the wheel nut?

[Ladders leaning against walls also make good questions :wink:]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?