Solving IGBT Turn On Issue: Increase Vge from 10V to 15V

In summary, the conversation discussed difficulties with turning on the IGBT and the need for a matching driver to supply the necessary voltage. The design requirement for turning on the IGBT was 15V and it was suggested to use a driver that can deliver up to 20V. It was also mentioned that a voltage multiplier circuit could be used, but it was not recommended due to its lack of stability. Alternatively, a small ferrite transformer could be used to provide a stable 16V supply for the driver.
billy fok
i have trouble to ON IGBT..
to turn on the IGBT, it needed the Driver to turn it on..
pwm pump in 5V into the driver signal. I supply 10v to power up the driver chip.
My design requirement to turn on the IGBT Vge is 15v... how to increase the Vge.

i have attached the circuit that i using.

Attachments

• driver.png
    driver.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 490
Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe you must find a matching driver ( google driver+IGBT ).

You can easily find a driver that is supplied by up to 20V, and can deliver the 15V output

Hesch said:
Maybe you must find a matching driver ( google driver+IGBT ).

You can easily find a driver that is supplied by up to 20V, and can deliver the 15V output
hi. my driver that i choose can supply to 20V? and my Vout is from 10v to 20v...

As I read your attached diagram, the capacitor between Vb and Vs will be charged through the diode to 5V, whenever the IGBT is turned off (assuming that the load is connected to Vs and ground ). When the IGBT is turned on, Vs will rise to ≈600V, and because the capacitor is charged, Vb will rise to 605V. In all circumstances you can control VHO in a range of 0 .. 5V with respect to Vs.

To extend this range, you must somehow increase the voltage Vb-Vs. There are voltage multiplier circuits, based on capacitor-diode networks, to be found, but I will not recommend that, as they are not rigid enough to this application. Not having a 16V supply available (15V+1), I would prefer a small ferrite transformer fed with some 5V sqarewave. Rectify the secondary voltage, and you have a stable 16V supply for the driver.

Sorry for my delayed answer, but I am from Denmark and is having a little fight with my dictionary.

Last edited:

1. What is an IGBT?

An IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) is a type of semiconductor device that combines the high efficiency of a bipolar transistor with the easy switching capabilities of a MOSFET. It is commonly used in power electronic circuits for switching and amplification purposes.

2. What is the "turn on issue" in IGBTs?

The "turn on issue" refers to the problem of the IGBT not switching on fully or quickly enough, leading to inefficient operation and potential damage to the device. This can be caused by various factors, including insufficient gate voltage.

3. How does increasing Vge from 10V to 15V help solve the turn on issue?

Vge (Gate-Emitter Voltage) is the voltage applied between the gate and emitter of the IGBT. Increasing this voltage can help overcome any barriers to the IGBT turning on fully, allowing for better and faster switching. However, it is important to note that increasing Vge beyond the recommended limit can also cause damage to the device.

4. Are there any other ways to solve the turn on issue besides increasing Vge?

Yes, there are other methods to improve the turn on performance of an IGBT, such as optimizing the gate resistor and capacitance values, using gate drive transformers, or implementing soft switching techniques. It is important to consult the device's datasheet and consult with a professional to determine the best solution for your specific application.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to increasing Vge?

Increasing Vge can help solve the turn on issue, but it is important to stay within the recommended limits provided by the manufacturer. Increasing Vge beyond these limits can cause overvoltage stress on the device, leading to potential damage. Additionally, it may also increase power dissipation and cause unnecessary stress on the power supply. It is important to carefully consider all factors before making any changes to Vge.