Is There a Sensor to Detect Current Change and Turn on a Relay?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a way to turn a relay back on with a sensor. The relay is attached to a device plugged into a wall and the individual is considering using a non-invasive current sensor to detect any changes in current once the device is turned on. They are also curious about using a sensor to check the change in capacitance of the wire that is turned on. The other individual in the conversation suggests providing more specific details and a circuit diagram to get a clearer understanding of the situation. They also mention that simply hooking up a switch or sensor may be a solution. However, they emphasize the importance of providing more details to fully understand the issue at hand.
gyrgi
I'm trying to figure out a way to turn a relay back on with a sensor. This relay is attached to a device that is plugged into a wall. I was thinking of using a non-invasice current sensor but I don't know if there will be a significant current change, if any, once I turn the device on, if the relay is still turned off.

Is there a sensor to check the change in capacitance of the wire that is turned on?

Engineering news on Phys.org
gyrgi said:
I'm trying to figure out a way to turn a relay back on with a sensor. This relay is attached to a device that is plugged into a wall. I was thinking of using a non-invasice current sensor but I don't know if there will be a significant current change, if any, once I turn the device on, if the relay is still turned off.

Is there a sensor to check the change in capacitance of the wire that is turned on?

You kind of already asked this question here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-tell-a-wire-is-plugged-in.817417/

Did the replies in that thread not help you?

They are helpful on how to measure current without using current. But now I'm curious on if there is a sensor to turn a relay back on. I don't believe these methods suggested would work besides the "quantum oscillator " which I do not fully understand.

I was worried if I responded to that thread that it wouldn't be viewed.

gyrgi said:
Yes, there are sensors but we need more information to answer your question.
The world is more complex than you realize. If you ask the right question you will get the right answer.
We require feedback from you to identify what your question actually means.
Can you produce a circuit diagram of what you have and describe the feature what you want to change or add.

You need to provide at least a block diagram that let's us see visually what functionality you are trying to achieve. What's this relay hooked to? Where does it get power? Why did it turn off?

Why can't you just hook up a switch or sensor to turn it back on.

I'm sure your actual application and issues are in your questions somewhere, but I can't really figure it out.

Details details details. We can't read minds.

1. What is a sensor to turn relay back on?

A sensor to turn relay back on is a device that detects a change in the environment or a specific input, and triggers a relay to switch on or off in response to that change.

2. How does a sensor to turn relay back on work?

A sensor to turn relay back on works by using a detection mechanism, such as motion, light, temperature, or pressure, to sense a change and send a signal to the relay to activate it.

3. What are some common applications for a sensor to turn relay back on?

Some common applications for a sensor to turn relay back on include automatic lighting systems, security systems, heating and cooling systems, and industrial automation processes.

4. Can a sensor to turn relay back on be customized for specific needs?

Yes, a sensor to turn relay back on can be customized for specific needs by adjusting its sensitivity, range, and response time. Additionally, different types of sensors can be used depending on the desired application.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a sensor to turn relay back on?

One potential drawback is that if the sensor malfunctions or fails to detect a change, the relay may not be activated, causing a disruption in the intended process. Additionally, if the sensor is not properly calibrated, it may result in false triggers.