Answer Moon's Spin: Effects on Earth? | 9yo daughter's Q

In summary: This is an excerpt from a website about tides:In summary, her daughter's question is asking about whether the moon would have tides if you attached rockets to it to make it spin quickly. It seems that over time, the moon's rotation would cause tides just as it does now. However, the moon's temperature would increase due to the flexing of its surface, and it would also have tides.
mallaky
Hello Physics Forums, this is my first thread here.

My daugher of 9 years is getting interested in the moon and tides and those things.
And she askes me a peculiar question which I could not answer. It goes as follows:

If you put a strong rockets on the moon which turn/spin it on the spot, without moving it in any other way, would we feel it on earth/ would it have an effect on the earth? ("or would it just look pretty?")

If anybody could answer that in a basic way it would be much, much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
(English is 2nd language, so please excuse mistakes)
(edit: I hope this is right forum for this kind of question)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a vague guess, but currently the periods of rotation and revolution for the Moon are the same, which is why we always see '1 side' of the Moon. If you were to increase (or decrease) the period of rotation, then we would see different sides of the Moon on different days. Also, the radius of the Moon's orbit will increase, making it look smaller.

Just my guesses, please don't read too much into them.

Last edited:
Yes, that is what her question means. Attach rockets to the moon which would make it rapidly spin. So we would see all the faces of the moon in maybe one night. Or more, or less. Her question was if that spinning would make tides or have any effect on Earth or not. Maybe i didnt understand your answer?

Here is a site about tidal locking which you can use to explain to your daughter of how the moon-earth system interacts to conserve angular momentum, with the moon slowly drifting farther in its orbit from the Earth and the Earth period of rotation becoming slower and slower, until a time will come much farther into the future where the moon and Earth will present to each other the same face continiously.
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/moon/tidal.html

If you attach rockets to the moon to make it rotate or spin faster, which is a great idea, by the way, the immediate affect would not be anything different from yesterday. Tides would be the same. Over the course of billions of years, the tidal locking for the earth-moon could take a billion of so years longer. In the meantime, the moon's temperature would increase slightly over time due to the flexing of its surface being raised and lowered. The moon would have tides as well.

I guess someone could hopefully answer the affect long term if you spin the moon clockwise or counterclockwise since I am short of time to think about that right now.

Hi there,

That's a great question from your daughter! The short answer is yes, it would have an effect on Earth.

To explain this further, we need to understand a bit about how the moon's spin and gravity works. The moon is constantly spinning on its axis, just like Earth, but it takes about 27 days for it to make one full rotation. This is why we always see the same side of the moon facing us.

Now, if we were to put strong rockets on the moon and spin it on the spot, it would change the distribution of mass on the moon. This means that the moon's gravitational pull on Earth would also change, albeit very slightly.

This change in gravitational pull would have a small effect on Earth's tides. Tides are caused by the moon's gravitational pull on Earth's oceans. So, if the moon's gravitational pull changes, it would also affect the tides.

However, the effect would be very small and probably not noticeable to most people. Also, the moon's spin is already very stable and any changes to it would likely be corrected by the moon's own gravity.

So, to sum it up, yes, spinning the moon on its spot would have an effect on Earth's tides, but it would be very small and probably not noticeable to us. And it definitely wouldn't just look pretty, it would have a real physical effect!

I hope this helps to answer your daughter's question. Keep encouraging her curiosity and interest in science!

1. How does the moon's spin affect the Earth?

The moon's spin, also known as its rotation, has several effects on Earth. One of the main effects is the creation of tides. As the moon rotates, it pulls on the Earth's oceans, causing them to rise and fall in a regular pattern. This also affects the Earth's rotation, slowing it down by about 2 milliseconds per day. Additionally, the moon's spin helps stabilize the Earth's axial tilt, which is responsible for our seasons.

2. Does the moon's spin affect the length of a day on Earth?

Yes, the moon's spin does have an impact on the length of a day on Earth. As mentioned before, the moon's pull on the Earth's oceans slows down the Earth's rotation, which in turn affects the length of a day. However, this effect is very small and only adds about 2 milliseconds to the length of a day every 100 years.

3. How does the moon's spin impact the Earth's climate?

The moon's spin plays a role in stabilizing the Earth's axial tilt, which affects our seasons and ultimately our climate. Without the moon's spin, the Earth's tilt would vary greatly, causing extreme and unpredictable changes in our climate. The moon's spin also helps regulate the Earth's temperature by influencing ocean currents and air circulation patterns.

4. Does the moon's spin ever change?

Yes, the moon's spin does change, but very slowly. Due to the Earth's gravity, the moon is tidally locked, meaning that it rotates at the same rate that it orbits around the Earth. However, this rotation rate is gradually slowing down, causing the moon to recede from the Earth at a rate of about 3.78 centimeters per year.

5. How does the moon's spin affect the Earth's magnetic field?

The moon's spin does not directly affect the Earth's magnetic field. However, the moon's presence does have an indirect impact on the Earth's magnetic field. The moon's gravitational pull creates tidal forces on the Earth's core, which can affect the flow of liquid iron within the core and contribute to changes in the Earth's magnetic field over time.