Tutorial on Hawking radiation

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
Originally posted by marcus
also nowadays so much of that information is, as you indicate, available on web.
there is no need to have all the tables in one book or at one website. most likely you simply keep track of which website to go to for which data.
planets here, elements there, properties of materials the other place, chemical reactions and molecules yet a fourth place etc.
This is exactly what I was thinking also, the information is always somewhere. But then again, you always find you need the information when you don't have access to it, so all of it in one place in book form would be nice. For the time being I will simply use the internet, there are so many books on physics and astromony and chemistry that I want, I wouldn't even know which to get first.

marcus

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Originally posted by kyle_soule
This is exactly what I was thinking also, the information is always somewhere....
We were talking about Hawking temperature of BH
Have we discussed Bill Unruh's result?

Hawking found the temp of the event horizon was g/2pi
where g is the accel of gravity right at the event horizon
(it can be quite gentle if the BH is big enough)

A year after Hawking published his result a physicist at
U of British Colombia discovered that you dont even have
to have a black hole for this to happen!

All you need is the acceleration itself and the temperature
observed in space by an observer who is accelerating at rate g
will be g/2pi.

I have talked about this in some thread I think but maybe not to you----perhaps you were not on that thread---and I forget which it was. This is a beautiful result. I happened to see it in the form it was first published, in Phys Rev. Series D, and was very excited.
He was using units c=G=hbar=k=1, and I thought it was cool that he added Boltzmann's k to the list---which now seems obvious to do. Unruh's result---the intrinsic temperature of acceleration---appeared in 1976.

These are the results (Bekenstein's black hole entropy, Hawking, Unruh) that are motivating today's work in quantum gravity. They are constantly being referred to. Curious how it works.

Last edited:
Turns out that day wasn't so eventless. I'm now swamped with studying and homework, soon, hopefully, I will get back to Hawking Radiation! Sorry for my seeming abandonment of the topic. I will be back:smile: