Tutorial Sections Clean Up?

1. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

Is there any way to have all of the inappropriate thread titles removed from the tutorial sections? I like to link to tutorials in posts and with a lot of the "moved" thread titles in there it just makes it take a bit longer because a lot of good posts get pushed back a couple of pages. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Evo

Staff: Mentor

Redirects gone.

I think one day should be long enough for redirects to remain.

4. Doc Al

That should be plenty. As a "good housekeeping" policy, whenever I move a thread I set the redirect to expire in 2 days.

5. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I usually set the redirects a bit longer, expiring in 3-5 days, if the person making the post in there is brand new since I don't know how quickly they'll check back, and they obviously are posting there because they don't know the site well enough yet to know where their post might have gone.

6. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

Groovy. Thanks guys.

7. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There were probably a bunch of old redirects left lingering around from before we had the ability to make them expire after a few days. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

8. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus 2,273
    Homework Helper

I think it needs cleaning again... Sorry to bother you folks.

9. Doc Al

Got 'em. The existing redirects will expire within an hour. :wink:

10. Astronuc

Would it be worth setting permissions (restrictions) on that directory, although that might defeat the purpose of interactivity?

11. jtbell

I just moved another homework question out of the tutorials forum, and made a sticky post that says "don't post homework here," and explains what kinds of postings are appropriate.

I think some people are confused by the word "tutorial." They associate it with personal "tutoring" on homework problems etc.

12. Astronuc

Thanks, jt!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?