1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tutoring problem

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    I have a problem. I'm capable of helping many of the students here with their problems, but at the same time, I get very angry whenever a student posts a problem that they didn't even attempt first and I could care less about helping them even if they show work after someone gives them a hint.

I think my main problem is that since I suffered through physics, let them suffer, and I get great joy to watch them struggle with a problem like I once did. Can somebody help me?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2
    I currently tutor a girl in mathematics. She basically needs me whenever she has a new homework assignment that she needs help with. My tactic is to ask her how they approach the problem — give her a bit of time to think. If she is truly stumped, I give her a hint: something I think might help her understand what to do. Then I ask her again, how she would approach the problem.

In the end, if she cannot figure out how to do anything, I lead her through the first problem, and go over it enough so that she gets how to work it. I let her do the rest of the problems, while I check to make sure she is doing things correctly. If she does not understand how to get something, I help her with that.

As tutors, our job obviously is not doing someone's homework for them. Concepts matter a lot more than homework problems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?