1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tutoring Tips

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    I'm tutoring a girl in my math class on how to write proofs. She understands what information she needs to prove something, but the only problem is she doesn't understand how to put the data in order. I tried to the following to clear things up for her:
    1.) I asked her to prove to me that the sandwich I had sitting next to me (in a wrapper) was indeed a sandwhich.
    result: didn't work quite as well as I hoped. The proof for this was a little too redundant, that it was hard.

2.) I began explaining proofs for triangle postulates ASA, SAS,
    AAS, SSS and Isosceles Triangle Theorem (my favorite!).

None of the above worked well. I DON'T KNOW what'll work best so that she could really understand it. I feel really bad that I haven't cleared it up for her. ANY help will do.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2
    WEll when tutoring you have to be able to understand it really well yourself. Can you prove that is in ifact a sandwhich next you?

Try this: Tell her that she has to convince you, with evidence, that (insert whatever is being proven) is true. Ignore order. Just get her to figure out what all the encessary parts are first. ONce she can do that reliably, THEN have her work on putting them in the correct logical sequence.

The basic problem is you're trying too much at once. You have to get her to learn each part. The first is what evidence you need to make your proof. The second part is organizing it. One step at a time.

Don't do examples for her, ask her questions hat force her to think of the right answers. Walk her through your own mental process towards the solution. She probably knows the absic prinicples but jsut has trouble stringing them together and/or has confidence issues with accepting the answer she thinks is right. So push her in that direction.

I think i've tutored way too many girls in math over the years...oh well most of them were girlfriends at the time anyway.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?