Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TV Addiction

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.sciam.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=0005339B-A694-1CC5-B4A8809EC588EEDF

Guilty!!! I have the thing on all the time while I'm working. My job tends to be very solitary at times and the TV helps to break the monotony.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2
    I watch much LESS television now than ever before. I used to turn on the tv and watch while surfing the second I got home from school. Now the TV in my room usually stays off till 9pm. I think my parents watch more than I do now.
    I am addicted to a couple of shows though, namely Conan, The Daily Show and CNN.

4. Dec 7, 2004 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure if having the TV on and watching it are necessarily the same thing. Right now, my TV is on, but I'm not actually sure what is on it (and it's on a commercial now...oh, commercial just ended...Extra)...it just keeps an otherwise empty house from seeming so empty on a windy night when things make weird noises. :biggrin:

Besides, I have the perfect cure for the TV addiction....switch to PF. :rofl:

5. Dec 7, 2004 #4
    But then what's the cure for PF addiction?

6. Dec 7, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I get home, I switch on the TV...and I switch it off only when I sleep. Usually, however, there's less than two hours between the former and the latter. But even with the TV continuously on (usually flipping between various news shows) during this time, I rarely sit down in front of it for any significant length of time.

7. Dec 7, 2004 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would you want to cure it? :tongue:

8. Dec 7, 2004 #7
    i don't spend a lot of time infront of the tube. i might turn it on if i'm really, really bored, or if there's a new episode of a show i like coming on, but on average, i probably watch about one hour a week.

9. Dec 7, 2004 #8
    Well it's just, instead of sitting in front of a TV screen all day and rotting your eyes, you're sitting in front of a computer screen all day thats emmiting radioactive rays thats rotting your brain.

10. Dec 7, 2004 #9
    [​IMG]

11. Dec 7, 2004 #10
    Ah, good point.

12. Dec 7, 2004 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow...would that give me a radioactive brain ? Totally cool....then maybe I'll be able to picturize ten dimensions in my head...and maybe i'll be able to solve non-linear dynamical problems in my head...maybe i'll get ESP...and telelpathy...and x-ray vision...and heat vision...and the power to freeze objects...and raze mountains...and topple buildings...maybe even a death ray...or...or....wait a minute...I'm starting to sound like you. :eek:

13. Dec 7, 2004 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I rarely ever turn the tv on. Unless there is a good documentary on that I want to watch, or if I remember to catch my favorite cooking show, Iron Chef, it's never on. I don't like background noise, I prefer silence.

14. Dec 7, 2004 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree there's a difference between having the TV on and watching it. If I'm home alone, I have to have the TV going, even if I'm not in the same room. In fact, I have the TV on in the other room even if I'm listening to music in the room that I'm in. There's just something comforting about background voices slipping through once in a while.

My wife, however, is definitely addicted to Rosanne reruns. That scares me. Especially that episode where Rosanne is at the perfume counter and the saleswoman says, "You know what they say - the fastest way to a man's heart is through his nose", and Rosanne replies, "Huh, and I'd always thought the fastest way to a man's heart was through his chest." :eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?