What are some tips for breaking a TV and internet addiction while in university?

• Thread starter hasan_researc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: Get rid of your TV and unsubscribe from cable. Also, unsubscribe from you Internet service provider. Now a days, students don't go anywhere without their laptops, but truth be told; if you're studying physics, you don't really need one! If you have some lab work, and data that you need to analyze, I'm betting your university has computer facilities with all the software ou may need.Anything else is just an excuse to procrastinate which is all student do these days!
hasan_researc
Hi,

I am a university student. I did exceptionally well in my O level and A level exams, but since I got into university, I started to watch too many films and surfed the net too often. I have done this so much that this has now become a terrible addiction and my performance in exams is falling. I just can't stay a day w/o watching the TV or surfing about random unecessary stuff on the net. I know this is wrong and I want to get to the point again where I can begin proper studying.

Any suggestions for improvement? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Get rid of your TV and unsubscribe from cable. Also, unsubscribe from you Internet service provider. Now a days, students don't go anywhere without their laptops, but truth be told; if you're studying physics, you don't really need one! If you have some lab work, and data that you need to analyze, I'm betting your university has computer facilities with all the software ou may need.
Anything else is just an excuse to procrastinate which is all student do these days!
It will take a lot of bravery to go though with my radica proprosal, but if you do, you'll be happy you did!

You could try getting rid of your TV/computer, or at least your TV.

1. Find someone to study together with.

2. Activate the "parental" controls on your browser and dump all "unnecessary" sites into the "unallowed" category.

3. Sell your TV.

4. Hang out in PF and busy your mind with trying to answer the questions others have posted about your area of study.

5. Take regular breaks from studying, etc., and spend "quality" time, preferably with other people.

I remember seeing a show about this problem. I don't remember the name of it, but I'll try to google it.

On the topic of looking at TV and the internet too much:

I saw something on TV that you should watch, let's look it up on google

HOW IS THIS SUPPOSED TO HELP??!?

:tongue2:

Avoid watching television.

The internet can be useful if you know how to search for good sites/resources and how to organize/bookmark them.

go outside. take a book to read. or go to the library, and don't sit at a computer terminal. it's a bit like going to the gym. leverage the power of social pressure to help you do that thing you came there to do.

hasan_researc said:
Hi,

I am a university student. I did exceptionally well in my O level and A level exams, but since I got into university, I started to watch too many films and surfed the net too often. I have done this so much that this has now become a terrible addiction and my performance in exams is falling. I just can't stay a day w/o watching the TV or surfing about random unecessary stuff on the net. I know this is wrong and I want to get to the point again where I can begin proper studying.

Any suggestions for improvement? Please help!

Get up every morning one hour earlier and go for a brisk one hour walk. Not a leisurely walk, but a brisk walk. It has wonderful mental and physical benefits. It sets off the right chemical processes in the brain, to put you more in touch with reality, and to have a fruitful day. It grounds you.

Even though you might still do internet, you will probably find that the TV addiction abates considerably.

Force yourself to do this EVERY morning. Soon, you will be looking foward to it, and not be able to do without it. The chemical buzz to the brain derived from this, is quite real, and highly beneficial.

It is freezing cold right now, here in Australia where I live, but I look forward to it even more, every 6 AM. Take the dogs, too, if you have any. Life and reality is all around you, but the TV is just a stupid box - just stupid.

Two of my kids are uni students. I can see what you mean. I see the same problem developing in them sometimes, and have to keep at them.

1. What is TV and Internet addiction?

TV and Internet addiction, also known as Internet Use Disorder or Internet Addiction Disorder, is a behavioral addiction characterized by excessive and compulsive use of television and internet technologies, leading to negative consequences in one's life.

2. How common is TV and Internet addiction?

TV and Internet addiction is becoming increasingly common, especially with the widespread use and availability of technology. According to a study by the Pew Research Center, 61% of Americans reported being addicted to their screens in some way.

3. What are the signs and symptoms of TV and Internet addiction?

The signs and symptoms of TV and Internet addiction may include spending excessive amounts of time watching TV or using the internet, neglecting responsibilities and social interactions, feeling irritable or anxious when not able to access technology, and experiencing physical symptoms such as eye strain or poor posture.

4. Can TV and Internet addiction be treated?

Yes, TV and Internet addiction can be treated with a combination of therapy, support groups, and self-help techniques. Treatment may also involve addressing any underlying mental health issues that may be contributing to the addiction.

5. What are the potential consequences of TV and Internet addiction?

TV and Internet addiction can have negative consequences on one's physical, mental, and emotional well-being. It can also lead to social isolation, strained relationships, financial problems, and academic or work-related issues. In severe cases, it can even result in health problems such as obesity and sleep disorders.