Troubleshooting Unexpected Volume Control on Smart TV and Soundbar

In summary, the TV has been changed so that if you use the original remote, the sound bar and TV levels go up together, but if you use the new remote, the sound bar and TV levels go up separately.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I know this is so vague as to be unanswerable - at least no answer better than I might come up with through a bit of experimentation - but it's late and I'm lazy.

After having my new Smart TV with soundbar for several months now, it has spontaneously started doing something different.

The new TV has its own remote, but we often switch back to plain ol' TV (called HDMI 2 by my smart TV menu). So we still use the original TV remote for normal cable TV.

Just in the last day or two, changing the volume on either remote now changes the smart TV sound bar volume as well as the TV volume. ie. I now get sound out of both - whereas I did not before. One lags behind the other by a fraction of a second, so everything has an echo.

If I turn up the sound on the Smart remote, I see the sound bar level go up, and the TV level (on-screen) go up as well. And this happens regardless of which remote I use.

I've tried muting the TV using the original remote and/or with the new remote. This works - until I go to change the volume again, then it's right back to changing both.

I guess if I start sifting though the menu option, maybe I'll find a checkbox setting that actually says 'control volume to TV and sound bar', but that seems unlikely.

Thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check your TV menu options for audio, I know my TV let's me choose the output and disable the internal speakers.

Likes russ_watters
since "smart TV" implies internet connectivity, that implies the possibility that what's happened is that the internal software has been upgraded automagically and the update caused the change in audio characteristics you are seeing. What you DO about it, I don't know but I like stoomart's suggestion.

Likes russ_watters
stoomart said:
Check your TV menu options for audio, I know my TV let's me choose the output and disable the internal speakers.
Holy Jeez. That's exactly what there is.

I am so used to software offering the exact options I never want and never offering the options I do want, it's made me hyper-cynical. And averse to even bothering to try without assistance.

Likes stoomart
DaveC426913 said:
I am so used to software offering the exact options I never want and never offering the options I do want, it's made me hyper-cynical.

You mean I'm not the only one ?

1. Why is my TV's volume control not working with my soundbar?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, make sure that your soundbar is properly connected to your TV. If it is connected via HDMI, check if the HDMI-CEC feature is turned on. This allows devices to communicate with each other, including volume control. If your soundbar is connected via optical cable, make sure it is securely plugged in and the correct input is selected on both the TV and soundbar.

2. Why is the volume on my soundbar suddenly very low?

This could be due to a change in the audio settings on your TV. Make sure that the output audio format is set to PCM and not Dolby Digital. This can be changed in the TV's audio settings. Additionally, check the volume levels on your soundbar and make sure it is not set to a low level.

3. Why is the volume on my soundbar very high at certain times?

Some TVs have a feature called "Auto Volume Leveling" or "Volume Normalization" which automatically adjusts the volume to prevent sudden loud sounds. This can sometimes interfere with the volume control on your soundbar. Check your TV's audio settings to see if this feature is enabled. If so, try disabling it and see if the issue persists.

4. Why is there no sound coming from my soundbar?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. First, make sure that your soundbar is powered on and the volume is turned up. Next, check the audio output settings on your TV and make sure it is set to output sound to the soundbar. If you are using an external device such as a cable box or streaming device, check its audio settings as well. Finally, make sure that all cables are properly connected and that the correct input is selected on your soundbar.

5. Why is the volume control on my soundbar not responding to my TV's remote?

If your soundbar is connected via HDMI, make sure that the HDMI-CEC feature is enabled on both the TV and soundbar. If it is connected via optical cable, the volume control may not work with your TV's remote. In this case, you may need to use the remote that came with your soundbar or a universal remote that is compatible with both your TV and soundbar.