Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TV Frequency

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    Im curious about this question because of the TV's at school. I can hear a TV on in a house with extrenious noise even if the TV is muted. I asked my science teacher if she could hear the TV when it was on and she said she heard the sound but thats all. I hear a very high pitch noise when a TV is on is there any reason for this? Does anyone else experiance this? The noise is also extremely anoying and gives me a headache, probably the reason why i dont watch tv....

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2006 #2
  4. Oct 5, 2006 #3
    Sorry didnt mean to make a repeat thread by that ringtone was painfull.

5. Oct 5, 2006 #4
    I wouldn't worry about it. The same subject has come up in two other threads I can think of in the past 3 years.

6. Oct 5, 2006 #5
    Ok i wasnt sure if i was reposting a thread that occurs regularly therfore wasting bandwith

7. Oct 5, 2006 #6
    Don't worry about it. When you waste too much bandwidth an alarm will go off: you'll hear an extremely high pitched noise that will give you a headache.

8. Oct 5, 2006 #7

Mk

Ah, that's what it is. Flyback transformers! :confused:

They obvioulsy have to do with why the crazy colory changing channels you don't have are a lot louder than the channels you do.

9. Oct 5, 2006 #8
    I allways hear capacitors screeming, its annoying...

10. Oct 5, 2006 #9
    [​IMG]

...and you think if you post about it, it'll stop that sound: that terrible screaming of the capacitors...

11. Oct 6, 2006 #10
    I ate his Band-Pass Filter with a nice electrolytic solution.....ffffttppfftttffppfftt...:devil:

12. Oct 6, 2006 #11
    Hehehehe. Good one!

13. Oct 7, 2006 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Zoob knows all about wasting bandwidth, sometimes even posting spurious images for the sake of humor.

14. Oct 7, 2006 #13
    Spurious?

spurious
    One entry found for spurious.
    Main Entry: spu·ri·ous
    Pronunciation: 'spyur-E-&s
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Late Latin & Latin; Late Latin spurius false, from Latin, of illegitimate birth, from spurius, noun, bastard
    1 : of illegitimate birth : BASTARD
    2 : outwardly similar or corresponding to something without having its genuine qualities : FALSE <the spurious eminence of the pop celebrity>
    3 a : of falsified or erroneously attributed origin : FORGED b : of a deceitful nature or quality <spurious excuses>
    - spu·ri·ous·ly adverb
    - spu·ri·ous·ness noun

15. Oct 7, 2006 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm? You don't think it was a perfectly cromulent use of the word?

From the OED:
    "characterized by spuriousness"

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  16. Oct 7, 2006 #15
    [​IMG]

A physics teacher once sent me on a wild goose chase hunting the spurious word "cromulent" through the dictionary...

17. Oct 7, 2006 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl:
    Oh, I feel good!
    :rofl:

BTW:
    From Wikepedia "Simpsons Neologisms"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromulent

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  18. Oct 8, 2006 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

19. Oct 9, 2006 #18
    I always consult respectable dictionaries:

http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=cromulent

20. Oct 9, 2006 #19

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Webster? Respectable? The man was an utter abomination!

21. Oct 9, 2006 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A compromise. Since we can't settle on a dictionary, we'll just google the word 'cromulent' .....

.... and voila! Cromulent is the bittersweet life and times of a quirky young college girl. :biggrin:

From Jan 13th, 2006:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?