TV in Space: Exploring the Hidden Side of the Moon and Deep Space

• Thread starter skywolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the signal from a TV on the hidden side of the moon would likely be too weak to receive a meaningful signal, resulting in a static-filled "snowstorm." Even in deep space, without a strong and direct line of sight to the transmitting antenna, a similar snowstorm would be seen. The back side of the moon would be a good location for a radio telescope due to the blocking of terrestrial interference. Cable or satellite would be the best options for TV reception in these scenarios. Only about 15% of the US population relies on terrestrial broadcasts, and using digital TV can result in perfect reception if the signal strength is kept above a certain threshold.
skywolf
if i were to turn on a tv on the hidden side of the moon, what would it look like?
would the moon block the tv transmition?
if it did, what would it still look like a snow storm?

if not, then what if i turned on a tv in deep space?
would i see just a small snowstorm?

-sw

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would think that even on the near side of the moon the signal would be to weak for your off the shelf TV receiver to get a useful signal.

Any where outside of about 100km from a TV transmitter you would only see a "snowstorm" with a off the shelf TV. TV signals are very directional, to get a good signal you need to have very nearly a line of sight on the transmitting antenna. So the far side of the moon could not receive a meaningful signal. Therefore you would only see the "snowstorm".

I guess you were not around for the early days of TV. We finally got a TV in 1956 when a transmitting tower was built on the top of a hill about 5mi from our home. WE could see the tower and got a beautiful signal. My cousin OTOH lived 15 miles away and was behind a hill which shadowed their home from the transmitter. They did not receive any signal from that station. This is why you see satellite dishes in areas many rural areas. It is not possible to receive a transmitted signal.

And more recently (but still before skywolf was born), the Apollo astronauts would lose communications when orbiting around the backside of the moon. I don't think there's any way to avoid that. Well, unless we learn to make neutrino transceivers that fit on a spacecraft . That would be a fun project to work on...

Over-the-air (OTA) TV reception can be very difficult for people living in mountain valleys, because the mountains get in the way. Most of the stations that serve western North Carolina operate several low-power "translators" that re-broadcast their signal to serve specific towns. I'm sure this is common in other mountainous areas.

The back side of the moon would be a great place to put a radio telescope because the moon would block most of the interference from terrestrial sources!

You'd still get a snowstorm, because that static is largely made from the Cosmic Background Radiation.

If attemting this on the far side of the Moon; get Cable!

skywolf said:
if i were to turn on a tv on the hidden side of the moon, what would it look like?
would the moon block the tv transmition?
if it did, what would it still look like a snow storm?

if not, then what if i turned on a tv in deep space?
would i see just a small snowstorm?

-sw
Assumed: All tvs have CRTs.
Do all tvs have antennas? I always think of the television as just the CRT part, and not a cable descrabler in addition or something like that.

mk said:
Do all tvs have antennas?

I've read that here in the USA, about 85% of the population uses cable or satellite as their primary source of TV. I'm among the other 15% that uses only terrestrial broadcasts. But I don't get any "snow" even though most of my stations are > 60 miles (100 km) away, because for the last year I've been using digital TV (including high-definition) instead of analog. If you can keep the signal strength above a certain threshold, reception is perfect. I have to use a good antenna on the roof for this, but I had to use one anyway for a halfway decent analog picture.

What is "TV in space"?

"TV in space" refers to the ability to watch television programming while in outer space. This can include live broadcasts from Earth or pre-recorded shows specifically created for astronauts during space missions.

How do astronauts watch TV in space?

Astronauts on the International Space Station (ISS) can watch TV through a laptop or tablet connected to a specialized receiver that captures signals from Earth-based TV stations. They can also access pre-recorded shows and movies from a digital media server onboard the ISS.

Is there a delay in watching TV in space?

Yes, there is a delay in watching TV in space due to the distance between the ISS and Earth. Signals take several minutes to reach the ISS, so astronauts may experience a delay in live broadcasts compared to viewers on Earth.

What types of TV shows are available in space?

Currently, astronauts have access to a variety of TV shows and movies, including news, sports, and entertainment programs. NASA also produces and provides educational programming for astronauts to watch while in space.

Can TV signals reach beyond Earth's orbit?

Yes, TV signals can reach beyond Earth's orbit, but the distance can cause a significant delay in transmission. This means that astronauts on deep space missions may not be able to watch live TV from Earth, but they can still access pre-recorded shows and movies.