Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TV pop ups

1. Mar 27, 2005 #1

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a little tired of those ads that pop up at the bottom of the TV screen in the middle of programs? It seems to be more and more a common practice.

My daughter was watching a movie on TV tonight and right during a part of the movie where the characters were speaking in a language that required sub-titles, an ad popped up onto the screen which actually covered up the subtitles so that you couldn't read them!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2005 #2
    Well, if you didn't change the channel, it must not have been enough of a problem...

This is how executives think. If the annoyance didn't make them lose you as an audience, they got away with it just fine, and it was perfectly ok. And that's all that matters to them. As if they care whether you know what the people were saying.

4. Mar 27, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You mean those annoying ads from cable shows advertising other programs?

Yes, that happens during Iron Chef, and blocks the subtitles. :grumpy:

5. Mar 27, 2005 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yet another reason not to watch television.

- Warren

6. Mar 27, 2005 #5
    I didn't noticed it, but then again I haven't been watching TV at all.

7. Mar 27, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate those things, along with the increasingly larger and larger station logos, and currently the map that shows the area of a flood watch three counties over with the scrolling text in case you don't know your counties well enough to read the map (which sometimes is challenging when they don't bother including the rivers/state borders for reference, rendering the map useless).

One of my friends started writing to the stations complaining, and the logos got a big smaller for a while, and then started growing in size again.

Yes, they block the subtitles, and they also just are annoying that they block part of the scene I'm trying to watch.

All the more reason I won't pay for cable or satellite...I don't get those station logos and pop-ups when I watch DVDs. :biggrin:

8. Mar 27, 2005 #7
    DVD's are one of the greatest inventions. Too bad the movie companies are always coming up ways to make you buy more of them when they come out with a Super extra special edition director's supreme delight cut with additional bonus features not seen in the same-dvd movie-that-you bought-previously. I guess, it's better than the alternative; that is suing more people who download movies.

Alright, I'm babbling heh

9. Mar 28, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I don't get those, except for a couple of seconds at a time a couple of times a year when the station is running a contest. The one that really grits my gears is when they shrink the credits into a little window and split-screen it with previews. First, I can't read the damned things, which I like to. Second, I hate previews. I don't want to know what's going to happen before it happens. :grumpy:

10. Mar 28, 2005 #9

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I said it was my daughter that was watching the program not I. But that being said, They do influence how much I watch a station that practices this. After a while I start flipping through the TV guide to see what else is on.

Unfortunately, as far as network executives are concerned, my viewing practices don't count as we are not a Nielson family.

Now if we could just get a few of this fraction of a percent of the viewing audience that network executives base their decisions on to do the same...

11. Mar 28, 2005 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahhhhhhh I love the BBC.

12. Mar 28, 2005 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I am so jealous of you guys that get BBC. Even the shows we see here on BBCAmerica are cut down in length for friggin' commercials.

13. Mar 28, 2005 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's rather ironic, and rather unfortunate. :smile:

14. Mar 28, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How much longer do you suppose it will be before the commercials are all that's on TV? We already have hour long infomercials, World's Funniest Commercials type shows, people who watch the SuperBowl just for the commercials, now commercials all during regular shows (I don't get too many of those until later at night; there isn't much room for them on the screen).

I have to agree with Danger about also not liking when they split the screen to run the credits. Why even bother with credits if you're going to make them so small nobody can read them?

The part I object to the most is that the whole principle behind paying for cable TV when it first came out was that because you were paying, you didn't get commercials. Now even when you pay for those channels, they still run commercials, and at the most exhorbitant rates! Fuhgetaboutit! :tongue:

15. Mar 28, 2005 #14
    So you don't get sued obviously, else it'd just be a full screen ad. :wink:
    Now there's a question: how long until they start splitting up the screen to run more than one ad at once during commercials? Hmmmm.

16. Mar 28, 2005 #15

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The root of all evil is marketing.

The worst part about those funniest commercials type of shows is that they show clips that have already made the rounds on the internet. So not only are they behind the times, the producers are unimaginative copy cats.

All endeavors that start out with no advertising eventually give in to the lure of more advertising revenue. That is why I admire the BBC so much. They seem to have figured out a way to do it without commercials.

Brewnog, how often does the rates to watch TV go up for you?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  17. Mar 28, 2005 #16

Danger

Gold Member

Actually, I know the real answer (jeez, but I hate to give a serious response) from my writing days. Union rules (SAG, WGA, Teamsters, etc.) all demand that their members be recognized by the profit-makers. Apparently they neglected to specify that it must be a noticable acknowledgement.

You are frightening me....

18. Mar 28, 2005 #17

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Advertising suffers an enormous overhead.

I have read, though I have no references at the moment, that the total cost each consumer would have to pay to eliminate advertising of all kinds (TV, print, radio, billboards, fliers, etc.) would be insignificant; only a few pennies a day. This is how much total revenue the entire corporate world expects to convince you to spend per day due solely to their advertisements; if you just gave it directly to the corporate world, they wouldn't need to advertise. A few pennies per day -- kind of sickens you, doesn't it?

Of course, advertising is big business, and puts food on the table for a lot of families -- it's a very significant part of our economy. And yes, people certainly can't buy products they've never heard of, so we couldn't very well do away with ads altogether.

The worst examples are, e.g. Coke and Pepsi. No American is unfamiliar with either of these products. Each spends an enormous amount of money on advertising, mainly to counter the advertising of the other. Thus, flavored sugar water costs a dollar, and a good portion of that money just goes into the pockets of the advertising company's employees. It's really a big waste.

- Warren

19. Mar 28, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

I read a book many years ago, when I was thinking of going into advertising copy writing. I can't remember the name of the author, but he was an industry insider. I think that the title might have been 'How to Advertise'. What got my attention in the first place was the subtitle: 'Making Commercials is Such a Dog-Eat-Dog Business, I'ts No Wonder They Call Them Spots'. It was disturbing and funny at the same time (sort of like Woody Allen). :eek:

20. Mar 28, 2005 #19

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, its seems like everyday we get closer to the type of world that existed in a story I read once. In it you were barraged 24-7 with ads and you had no choice in the manner. You couldn't even turn off your TV or car radio. (and if you tryed to disable it, a repairman would be there in a jiff to fix it.

Th emain character finally finds a haven from it at a "contraband" boarding house which has managed to keep it all out. As it turns out however, the boarding house is really just a re-programming center.

21. Mar 28, 2005 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The reason that is done is that they are trying to keep people from changing channels at the end of a show. They have to show the credits, and that is when many people start channel surfing. The idea was that if you could give the people something to watch during the credits, (such as a preview of the next show) that people would be less likely to switch channels out of boredom and carry more viewers over into the next show.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?