Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TV show - Physics Mad.

1. Apr 1, 2005 #1
    Having just read on the forum that you can drive a F1 car upside down (theoretically) I have decided this needs to be on the TV. I work for a production company who make science documentaries and science format shows and everyone in the office loves this idea. As it will take me a week to read every thread I thought I'd cheat and ask If anyone has any other amazing facts like the F1 car that need to be tested out on the TV. I've heard you can fly a small plane without its engine on in the jet stream of the new airbus, so there's 2 episodes - only need 8 more!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2005 #2
    Oh - and if anyone knows which scientist I should talk to to try and set up the car experiment it would be very helpful!

4. Apr 1, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Do you want us to start in on the realities of what you are thinking about trying to do? I'll throw two out for starters that require no physics knowledge at all:

1) Do you know the average cost of an F1 racing car is?
    2) The new Airbus hasn't even flown it's first test flight yet.

Neat idea for a show though.

5. Apr 2, 2005 #4
    But, he doesn't have to buy it right... i mean one could always ask a low rated f1 driver team to do the show, stating that it would atleast improve his audience rating..... ;)

6. Apr 4, 2005 #5
    I know there's lots of reasons why we can't do it. Thats why I'm asking you guys if there's cool stuff we can prove. I still think the F1 car could work, I'm not expecting Ferrari to lend me theres though! We'd just have to build a working model for the show.

7. Apr 4, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh! "f1" is "formula 1". It took me a while to work that out!

"Drive it upside down"? Don't the wheels have to make contact with the ground?

I presume you mean in a loop track. I thought that had been done with larger, slower vehicles.

8. Apr 4, 2005 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I take it as driving upside down due to the downward force created by the vehicle for traction purposes, not just a loop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?