Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tweaking tv remote

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    I have a big problem at home. My brother puts the tv at high volumes. He doesn't reduce it when asked to. So now i have a plan to tweak with the remote or the tv itself. My plan is to modify something with the software of the remote so that the actual volume level of the tv remains to 12 even when it shows 100.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2
    Get knife, dig out volume up button.

Or hit him with the remote until there is compliance.

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    I believe in brain power than muscle power.

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I believe that Chris' answer was a perfect example of that. The bashing is merely a backup plan in case the dipgarbage doesn't realize your intellectual superiority.
    You could also just unplug the TV.

6. Oct 26, 2011 #5
    I don't mind my brother watching the tv but without disturbing anyone. Especially when i am studying hard.

7. Oct 26, 2011 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Well... if you don't want to hear it at all, as opposed to just at reduced volume, you could demonstrate your brotherly love by gifting him a set of headphones. All modern TV's have jacks for them.

8. Oct 26, 2011 #7
    I thought of this earlier but my brotherly love also cares about his ears too.

9. Oct 26, 2011 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry, man, but you're just getting way too picky for me. The only two options that I see being practical are to give him headphones or kill him. Given the price of headphones, I know which one I'd go with...

10. Oct 26, 2011 #9
    Oh come on there should be a way to tweak with remotes.

11. Oct 26, 2011 #10
    As far as I know remotes are very simple broadcast only devices. The remote doesn't know what volume the TV is at, and will continue to broadcast the volume up signal as long as the button is pressed. The TV is where all the software is. The TV knows what volume it is at, and what is its max volume. It also decides what to display on the screen.

I'd imagine editing the software running on the TV would be quite difficult, as I'm sure they don't make it easy to modify. You'd probably have to program a new chip and solder that in.

You could possibly modify a remote to keep track of the volume level and stop at a certain level. However this would have some problems. First, it wouldn't affect the display on the TV, so it would just stop at some point. Second, using the buttons on the TV would still work, and worse would mess up the remotes internal count of what the current volume is at.

12. Oct 26, 2011 #11

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The easy way would be to modify the TV so the "max" volume was quiet enough for you.

Putting a resistor in series with the TV loudspeaker would be a quick, cheap, and effective way to do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook