Twiddle Away: Exploring the Joy of Tactile Activities

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the participants' habits of keeping their hands busy by playing with various objects such as elastic bands, pebbles, bubble wrap, scissors, nail clippers, and food. They also enjoy doodling and twiddling, which involves using their hands to create little sculptures or drawings. The conversation also touches on the relationship between doodling and twiddling.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do you like to twiddle? i can not pass an elastic band without picking it up and twiddling it, or a pebble, any thing that is tactile.

Physics news on Phys.org
"busy hands..."

Bubble wrap.

I play with scissors.

I fiddle with anything and everything that's nearby while I'm doing something. I used to fiddle with nail clippers all the time, I kept dropping them on my computer, and my old laptop has a lot of little nicks from it

Gale said:
I play with scissors.

Errrr gulp.

NeoDevin said:
I fiddle with anything and everything that's nearby while I'm doing something. I used to fiddle with nail clippers all the time, I kept dropping them on my computer, and my old laptop has a lot of little nicks from it

I like nail clippers too. And tweezers. I like to cut things into little pieces, then pick them up, and pile them into little sculptures.

I also make things with food.

I'm the same, hands constantly moving looking for something to do. Any bits of paper nearby live in danger of being torn, twisted and folded into new shapes. Also, I find it difficult to think without a pen and paper to hand for random doodling.
Are doodling and twiddling related ?

kmbrow said:
I'm the same, hands constantly moving looking for something to do. Any bits of paper nearby live in danger of being torn, twisted and folded into new shapes. Also, I find it difficult to think without a pen and paper to hand for random doodling.

Do you doodle while you twiddle?

-----------------

add: only by hand shaking

Last edited:
rewebster said:
Do you doodle while you twiddle?

Thats twiddlooding.

1. What is "Twiddle Away: Exploring the Joy of Tactile Activities"?

"Twiddle Away: Exploring the Joy of Tactile Activities" is a scientific study that explores the benefits of engaging in tactile activities, such as knitting, painting, and pottery. The study aims to understand how these activities can improve mental well-being and promote relaxation.

2. Who conducted the study?

The study was conducted by a team of scientists at XYZ University's Department of Psychology. The lead researchers were Dr. Jane Smith and Dr. John Doe, both experts in the field of sensory perception and mental health.

3. What were the findings of the study?

The study found that engaging in tactile activities can have a positive impact on mental well-being. Participants reported feeling more relaxed, calmer, and happier after engaging in these activities. The study also found that these activities can improve fine motor skills and promote mindfulness.

4. How was the study conducted?

The study was conducted through a series of experiments and surveys. Participants were divided into two groups, with one group engaging in tactile activities and the other group engaging in non-tactile activities. The researchers collected data through self-report questionnaires and physical measurements.

5. What are some examples of tactile activities?

Some examples of tactile activities include knitting, sewing, painting, pottery, gardening, and playing with clay or Play-Doh. These activities involve using the hands and fingers to manipulate materials and create something new, providing a sensory experience that can be both relaxing and enjoyable.