Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twilight days

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What do you intend to do when you retire?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2015 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Taste good or burn well, depending on how they dispose of my carcass.

4. Apr 12, 2015 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I already have. I'm teaching myself some physics!

And hitting the mountains as often as possible.

5. Apr 12, 2015 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My father has been retired for almost 30 years. He has one sage piece of advice:

Make sure you have something to retire to. (i.e. Don't just stop working and think the rest of your days will be filled with sunshine and fresh air and a crossword puzzle.)

I have a friend whose husband stopped working and now he has no desire to do anything but sit in front of the TV and drink and wait to die. She has come around the same mind as he: 'hurry up and die so I can get on with my life.'

6. Apr 12, 2015 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ha! I can add colorful comment for those that respond.

Friends and relatives seem to have thought my intentions were, ummm....., frivolous? unrealistic?
    Or maybe, I was insane? :oldeyes:

30 minutes after waking up, on my first day of retirement:
    me; Cleanup time! Then, PLANS!
    friends; No, Om, stop. Don't do that. That looks like work. Let's go play!
    me; Ok!​

7 days later
    me; This, has been a nightmare....... Who the **** are these demons, I used to call friends..........​

ps. PF is probably the only thing that has kept me sane this whole time. :bow:

7. Apr 12, 2015 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I work for a charity 2 days a week the rest of my time is either spent on PFs or twiddling my thumbs, i hate TV and my legs are not too good so i am stuck at home:frown:

8. Apr 12, 2015 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I started watching TV (on Hulu) around January 1st this year, after a 6 year hiatus. So far, I've gotten through all episodes of "The Twilight Zone", "The Night Gallery", and am currently halfway(?) through "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". (Alfred was freaking hilarious, btw. Don't know why you guys let him go.)

Old TV is fascinating. Nearly everyone smoked cigarettes nonstop, and was slamming hard liquor like it was lemonade.

I chatted with my brother a couple of weeks ago, and he said that there are now warnings at the beginning of theatre movies, that say the movie might not be appropriate for children, as there are scenes of people smoking cigarettes. My, how times have changed.

9. Apr 12, 2015 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

More than I have time for. You name it.

10. Apr 12, 2015 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I retired a few years ago. I quickly found I was too busy to do the things I planned to do when I retired.

11. Apr 12, 2015 #10

wolram

Gold Member

I used to like Tv but now a days it is all cops and robbers, soaps or general rubbish

12. Apr 12, 2015 #11

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

I ride 'bicycle' (ICE Trike Sprint 26), study most what ever I wish, keep an immaculate house (cabin/cottage), enjoy my community, travel, read voluminously, struggle with six acres of second growth woods. I do not have a television receiver, but stream what I want from the web.

13. Apr 12, 2015 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Sounds idylic Doug

14. Apr 12, 2015 #13

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

15. Apr 12, 2015 #14

wolram

Gold Member

I could spend a few months looking around there, i will have to add it to my to do list

16. Apr 13, 2015 #15
    Be consumed by dementia.

17. Apr 13, 2015 #16

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Something to look forward to.

18. Apr 13, 2015 #17

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

According to the government state pension calculator I can retire from 2nd April 2057. So whatever I do it better come with robots and silver jumpsuits.

19. Apr 13, 2015 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your father is wise.

You have to have a plan. You don't want to regularly find yourself at 2 in the afternoon, still in your pajamas.

Me: my husband and I live on a farm that has not been active in years. We're working to get it going again. It's difficult to do while we still have our day jobs, so I'm really looking forward to being able to devote our time to the farm all the time.

20. Apr 13, 2015 #19

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not a problem for me as I don't own a pair of pajamas!

21. Apr 13, 2015 #20
    I'm more concerned with graduating at the moment, but I hope when I get old enough to actually think about that kind of thing I'll have a good idea. Problem is, the things I want to do I don't want to wait until I'm retired for... I want to travel, explore my interests, and all that stuff now while I'm young and free of responsibility.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook