Planning for Retirement: Create Your Ideal Future

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, your husband and you are retired and living on a farm that you are working to get back into operation.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
What do you intend to do when you retire?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taste good or burn well, depending on how they dispose of my carcass.

Likes Ryan_m_b and Borek
wolram said:
I already have. I'm teaching myself some physics!

And hitting the mountains as often as possible.

My father has been retired for almost 30 years. He has one sage piece of advice:

Make sure you have something to retire to. (i.e. Don't just stop working and think the rest of your days will be filled with sunshine and fresh air and a crossword puzzle.)

I have a friend whose husband stopped working and now he has no desire to do anything but sit in front of the TV and drink and wait to die. She has come around the same mind as he: 'hurry up and die so I can get on with my life.'

Likes lisab and OmCheeto
wolram said:

Ha! I can add colorful comment for those that respond.

Friends and relatives seem to have thought my intentions were, ummm..., frivolous? unrealistic?
Or maybe, I was insane? :oldeyes:

30 minutes after waking up, on my first day of retirement:
me; Cleanup time! Then, PLANS!
friends; No, Om, stop. Don't do that. That looks like work. Let's go play!
me; Ok!​

7 days later
me; This, has been a nightmare... Who the **** are these demons, I used to call friends...​

ps. PF is probably the only thing that has kept me sane this whole time. :bow:

I work for a charity 2 days a week the rest of my time is either spent on PFs or twiddling my thumbs, i hate TV and my legs are not too good so i am stuck at home:frown:

wolram said:
I work for a charity 2 days a week the rest of my time is either spent on PFs or twiddling my thumbs, i hate TV and my legs are not too good so i am stuck at home:frown:

I started watching TV (on Hulu) around January 1st this year, after a 6 year hiatus. So far, I've gotten through all episodes of "The Twilight Zone", "The Night Gallery", and am currently halfway(?) through "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". (Alfred was freaking hilarious, btw. Don't know why you guys let him go.)

Old TV is fascinating. Nearly everyone smoked cigarettes nonstop, and was slamming hard liquor like it was lemonade.

I chatted with my brother a couple of weeks ago, and he said that there are now warnings at the beginning of theatre movies, that say the movie might not be appropriate for children, as there are scenes of people smoking cigarettes. My, how times have changed.

wolram said:
More than I have time for. You name it.

I retired a few years ago. I quickly found I was too busy to do the things I planned to do when I retired.

I used to like Tv but now a days it is all cops and robbers, soaps or general rubbish

I ride 'bicycle' (ICE Trike Sprint 26), study most what ever I wish, keep an immaculate house (cabin/cottage), enjoy my community, travel, read voluminously, struggle with six acres of second growth woods. I do not have a television receiver, but stream what I want from the web.

Doug Huffman said:
I ride 'bicycle' (ICE Trike Sprint 26), study most what ever I wish, keep an immaculate house (cabin/cottage), enjoy my community, travel, read voluminously, struggle with six acres of second growth woods. I do not have a television receiver, but stream what I want from the web.

Sounds idylic Doug

I could spend a few months looking around there, i will have to add it to my to do list

Be consumed by dementia.

nuuskur said:
Be consumed by dementia.

Something to look forward to.

According to the government state pension calculator I can retire from 2nd April 2057. So whatever I do it better come with robots and silver jumpsuits.

DaveC426913 said:
My father has been retired for almost 30 years. He has one sage piece of advice:

Make sure you have something to retire to. (i.e. Don't just stop working and think the rest of your days will be filled with sunshine and fresh air and a crossword puzzle.)

I have a friend whose husband stopped working and now he has no desire to do anything but sit in front of the TV and drink and wait to die. She has come around the same mind as he: 'hurry up and die so I can get on with my life.'
Your father is wise.

You have to have a plan. You don't want to regularly find yourself at 2 in the afternoon, still in your pajamas.

Me: my husband and I live on a farm that has not been active in years. We're working to get it going again. It's difficult to do while we still have our day jobs, so I'm really looking forward to being able to devote our time to the farm all the time.

lisab said:
You don't want to regularly find yourself at 2 in the afternoon, still in your pajamas.

That's not a problem for me as I don't own a pair of pajamas!

I'm more concerned with graduating at the moment, but I hope when I get old enough to actually think about that kind of thing I'll have a good idea. Problem is, the things I want to do I don't want to wait until I'm retired for... I want to travel, explore my interests, and all that stuff now while I'm young and free of responsibility.

lisab said:
my husband and I live on a farm that has not been active in years. We're working to get it going again.
No doubt, you'll never run out of things to keep you busy.

1. What is the ideal age to start planning for retirement?

The ideal age to start planning for retirement is as early as possible. It is recommended to start in your 20s or 30s, but it is never too late to begin. The earlier you start, the more time you have to save and invest, allowing for a more comfortable and secure retirement.

2. How much money do I need to save for retirement?

The amount of money you need to save for retirement depends on your individual income, lifestyle, and desired retirement lifestyle. A general rule of thumb is to save at least 10-15% of your income each year, but it is best to consult a financial advisor for a personalized plan.

3. What are some retirement planning strategies I should consider?

Some retirement planning strategies to consider include diversifying your investments, maximizing contributions to retirement accounts, creating a budget and sticking to it, and considering long-term care insurance. It is also important to regularly review and adjust your plan as needed.

4. How can I estimate my retirement expenses?

To estimate your retirement expenses, you can start by looking at your current expenses and considering how they may change in retirement. You should also account for potential healthcare costs, travel, and any other leisure activities you may want to pursue. It is also helpful to consult with a financial advisor for a more accurate estimate.

5. What are the potential risks to consider when planning for retirement?

Some potential risks to consider when planning for retirement include inflation, market volatility, unexpected healthcare costs, and longevity. It is important to have a diversified retirement portfolio and to regularly review and adjust your plan to mitigate these risks.