Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twin engine jet airplane lands

1. May 2, 2005 #1
    Finally, your friend's twin engine jet airplane lands. As it stands on the runway, you hear the sound of the engines getting louder and softer, rhythmically once every two seconds. The average frequency you hear is 4100 Hz. What is the difference between the individual frequencies of the sounds from each engine and this average?

f_low-f_ave =

f_high-f_ave =
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Sorry, man; I have absolutely no idea about this. I just can't stand to see a post go unanswered. It seems rude, as if you're being ignored. I wish I could help, but maybe by posting at all and moving this up in the line, I can prompt someone else to get involved. :smile:
  4. May 3, 2005 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

THis is apparently a quaestion regarding the "beat frequency" of two close-but-not-exactly-the-same sources. The formula associated with this is so simple that it usually is not included with most formula lists. Look at the "beat frequency" section of the textbook.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?