Comparing Ages: Spaceship Rider vs Earthbound

• B
  • Thread starter Zephaniah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spaceship
In summary: The Twin Paradox is not really a paradox at all; it was described by Einstein in his very first paper on relativity (1905) as a surprising but logical consequence of the theory. It's often presented as a "paradox" as a pedagogical tool, a way of getting people to challenge their natural but wrong intuitions about time, but in fact there is no logical inconsistency and no question about which twin ages more.Einstein predicted that if two twins were sent into space together and one of them was sent spinning around an accelerator ring while the other stayed on the ground, the twin who stayed on the ground would age more than the one who was spinning around the ring. This was confirmed by a study done in
Zephaniah
Who is older? The one who rides at the spaceship or the one who is left on earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zephaniah said:
Who is older? The one who rides at the spaceship or the one who is left on earth?
What do you think? What has your research into the "paradox" turned up so far?

phinds said:
What do you think? What has your research into the "paradox" turned up so far?
It may vary. The one who rides at the spaceship may be older or younger than the person left on earth.

Zephaniah said:
It may vary. The one who rides at the spaceship may be older or younger than the person left on earth.
No, that's not correct. You need to do some reading on the basics of Special Relativity. Just asking questions on a forum really isn't going to teach you much.

phinds said:
No, that's not correct. You need to do some reading on the basics of Special Relativity. Just asking questions on a forum really isn't going to teach you much.
I've read a lot already. I've seen some video from NASA about the twin astronaut. And I think their study about this one is not yet done.

Zephaniah said:
I've seen some video from NASA about the twin astronaut
Which twin did the NASA video identify as being older at the reunion?

Dale said:
Which twin did the NASA video identify as being older at the reunion?
The person on earth. But based on what I have read their research is not yet finish.

Mark Kelly to be exact.

Zephaniah said:
The person on earth.
There you go.

Zephaniah said:
But based on what I have read their research is not yet finish
This is not an active area of research for NASA. However, other researchers have done this experiment. Not with humans but with radioactive particles.

The ones that stay in place age more than the ones spinning around the accelerator ring. Just as predicted by relativity.

Last edited:
Zephaniah said:
I've read a lot already. I've seen some video from NASA about the twin astronaut. And I think their study about this one is not yet done.
Watching internet videos is a remarkably ineffective way of learning this stuff. Some videos are OK, most are awful, there's no way of knowing which is which if you don't already understand the subject.

The Twin Paradox isn't really a paradox at all; it was described by Einstein in his very first paper on relativity (1905) as a surprising but logical consequence of the theory. It's often presented as a "paradox" as a pedagogical tool, a way of getting people to challenge their natural but wrong intuitions about time, but in fact there is no logical inconsistency and no question about which twin ages more.

A good layman-friendly introduction can be found here: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_paradox.html

Likes Shakir

What is the purpose of comparing the ages of a spaceship rider and an earthbound individual?

The purpose of comparing the ages of a spaceship rider and an earthbound individual is to gain a better understanding of how space travel and living in space can impact a person's aging process. It can also help to identify any potential health risks or differences between the two groups.

How do scientists determine the age of a spaceship rider?

Scientists determine the age of a spaceship rider by using various methods such as measuring changes in telomeres (the protective caps on the ends of chromosomes), monitoring physiological changes, and analyzing data from medical tests and observations during the spaceflight.

What are some potential differences in aging between a spaceship rider and an earthbound individual?

Some potential differences in aging between a spaceship rider and an earthbound individual may include changes in bone density and muscle mass due to the effects of microgravity, exposure to higher levels of radiation in space, and alterations in the body's circadian rhythm.

What are the implications of comparing ages between a spaceship rider and an earthbound individual?

The implications of comparing ages between a spaceship rider and an earthbound individual can help to inform future space travel and colonization efforts. It can also provide insights into the potential long-term effects of living in space on human health and aging.

Are there any limitations to comparing the ages of a spaceship rider and an earthbound individual?

Yes, there are limitations to comparing the ages of a spaceship rider and an earthbound individual. Factors such as genetics, lifestyle, and pre-existing health conditions can also contribute to differences in aging between the two groups. Additionally, the sample size of spaceship riders may be limited, making it difficult to draw broad conclusions.