Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twin socks paradox

1. Jan 31, 2004 #1
    Nice ring to the titlem, huh?

Anyway, has anyone here had those strange experiences with socks?

Like when you have a few pairs of nice comfortable socks, then you get some new ones, and suddenly the old ones feel itchy and old.
    Its just plain weird I say!

Or when you wash your socks, then later you find out some are missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It is one of those mysteries that will never be solved. You put 6 soxs into the washing machine & only 3 will come out AND not a single one will match!!!!!!

4. Jan 31, 2004 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the theory that socks mate and reproduce in the wash, thus creating the odd socks!

5. Jan 31, 2004 #4
    Chroot and Ambitwistor explained this to my satisfaction once. It has to do with one sock traveling along a longer space-time interval than the other as it travels around in the appliance. Time, therefore, passes at a different rate for each sock. That being the case, only one sock is permitted under General Relitivity, to return to the observers frame of reference.

6. Jan 31, 2004 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That does make sense!

7. Jan 31, 2004 #6
    Sure, the twin sox paradox makes sense, but what about the itchy sock conspiracy?!

I think I got this one. When newer socks go near good comfortable socks, the electomagnetic repulsion causes the old ones to decay faster.

So that means when Pro-spirit, Hanes, and Auro socks are washed together, you get socklear fission!

8. Jan 31, 2004 #7
    Lets not forget sock functions and wave-sock duality.
    This way, the harder you look for a sock, the harder it is to find.

9. Jan 31, 2004 #8
    EEEK!!!!
    Just found out: My avatar stole my missing sock and is now wearing it as a hat!

geez, im gonna have dreams about sox trying to kill me.

10. Jan 31, 2004 #9

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haven't you people ever watched The Family Guy? The answer is that inside the washing machine there is a portal to Narnia where a satyr named Mr. Tumnus steals the socks. sheesh

11. Feb 1, 2004 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

My mom used to say there were sock-eating gnomes in the washer AND the dryer. That way if the one in the washer didn't get it, the one in the dryer would! Well, that was before Laundry Room Black Holes were discovered. Now I know the truth!! (Wise up, hypnagogue! You were the closest to the truth, but aren't you glad that now you ALL know about LRBH's.) (I once tried to save all the dryer lint to plug the hole, but the dryer caught fire, Ivan got a little irate and said "Just buy lots of the same socks so we never KNOW if one has been sucked up by the LRBH." This seems to work just fine...)

12. Feb 1, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Under the Many Worlds Theory we find that there exist an infinite number of parallel worlds with every possible combination of socks in the washer. When you close the lid you have taken the observer out of the loop [see the Schrodinger's cat paradox]. The system then enters a superposition of eigenstates [there is no unique number of socks present] that may or may not yield the same eigenvalue [the number of socks in the washer] on the next measurement or observation; thus the number of socks may or may not remain constant.

A simple solution is found: Don't close the lid.

13. Feb 1, 2004 #12
    "Stealth Socks" (Patent pending!)

(It's from another sockingly good thread knitted on this same Knotttty (naughty?? huh??) problem...)

14. Feb 1, 2004 #13

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The true reason is thus:

Socks reproduce by budding. When new socks are introduced to a sock herd, this triggers the budding response in the old socks. It is the production of these buds that make the old socks feel itchy.

This, in turn, prompts the sock wearer to throw away the old socks, returning them to the wild where the process can continue to its natural conclusion. (In those cases were the sock wearer holds on to socks through the "itchy" stage, the budding process weakens the sock until actual structual failure (Holes) occur.)

Once the socks have finished reproducing, the new socks are harvested and shipped to the stores. (By harvesting socks before they are fully matured is how we get socks for children.)

15. Feb 1, 2004 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

I recently got some new socks, that were all exactly the same size, but NOW some of them are smaller...as if they are a different make...stupid. its not another make, cos all my white sox are the same, the black sox are different.

16. Feb 1, 2004 #15

Tsu

Gold Member

Chopnik! You're a SOCK RACIST???????

17. Feb 1, 2004 #16
    Tsunami! You didn't know???????? ( )

18. Feb 1, 2004 #17

jimmy p

Gold Member

LOL...im also soxist. nah what i mean is that the black ones are thin (DOH DOH DOH) and the white SOCKS are sports sox.

19. Feb 1, 2004 #18
    Yes, but are they budding?.....

20. Feb 1, 2004 #19

jimmy p

Gold Member

they are bobbling...does that count?

21. Feb 1, 2004 #20
    Don't know, ask Chroot.....it's his assertion....me, I thought that they would be more like a 'Mantis', or a 'Black Widow', you know, "eating the other one, (the sexual partner) right after mating", hence only one sock comes out of the dryer...cheese! I thought everyone knew that one....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?