Automotive Twin Turbo 4 cylinder Engine?

1. Hey Guys, I'm fairly new to this forum.

I would just like to know is their a way to allow for a four cylinder engine to produce for more engine gas to spin 2 turbos. As I researched on forced induction, I've found that Twin turbos on a four cylinder might be one turbo too many, though I imagine the spin-up (lag free) benefits of two teensy, weensy turbos might be there as on a bigger motor. I'm in High School, and planning on studying Mechanical Engineering at Ohio State, then start a car company(not likely).

Thanks Guys
    God Bless
  2. jcsd
  3. Ranger Mike

Ranger Mike 1,653
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

welcome fellow Buckeye
    I do not know but would recommend you research the Offenhauser 4 cylinder engine that was refined to the ultimate 4 cylinder thru Indy years as a start.
  4. From Subaru
  5. Look up what people do to their road/rally cars from Subaru and Mitsubishi. There are countless sites and threads from people who have twin blown their 4 bangers. However, why would you want to? On a small 4 banger, you certainly won't need that much boost and you'll have to figure out other stuff before you can drive it. Simply slapping on a couple turbos doesn't make a fast car. A good GT40 turbo will provide plenty of air to a 4 cylinder. Single turbos also spool quicker and require a lot less engine modification inside the small engine bay of a 4 cyl. car.
  6. Twin turbo systems would be classed as an odd choice for a performance small 4 cylinder engine used for automotive use. Twin turbos are (in general) phasing out due to modern turbine development of multi-vane or variable-nozzle turbines which allow for a single turbine to operate over a far wider range of exhaust gas flow rate than was possible twenty years ago, therefore applications which would have been twin turbo to achieve a usable power-band all round have been phased out to multi-vane or variable nozzle single turbocharger applications which offer inherently less frictional losses and complexity. That being said, twin turbochargers are still used on some flat-plane V8's and Boxer configurations as each bank of cylinders opperates a seperate exhaust system.
  7. I don't know if this irony or not.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?