What is the answer to the Twins Paradox confusion in relativity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity and how it affects the perception of time and aging in different frames of reference. It also touches on the constant speed of light in inertial frames and the role of acceleration in changing this speed. The concept of simultaneity and its relativity is also mentioned. Finally, the conversation briefly talks about the analogy of using a tape recorder to understand the concept of time and aging in relativity.
Xeinstein
I am having trouble understanding how the explanation of the paradox solves the problem. What if people in two different frames were moving wrt one another with constant velocity. Say for instance, these people never turn around to meet up once again and are constantly moving at a constant velocity wrt one another.

Clearly, each will percieve the other's frame to be moving more slowly than their own. There is never a change in reference frame so they disagree on who is older. Who is actually older? Are they both younger and both older simultaneously? That seems to be a weird consequence of relativity. What am I missing here?

Also, I know the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames. However, it does not necessarily have to be constant in accelerated frames, correct? I believe this because the postulate of relativity states that "all laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames", so some laws of physics are not the same in accelerated reference frames, and therefore the speed of light is not necessarily constant in all reference frames, but it is only constant in inertial frames?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your just making it harder for your self by thinking of it that way...

your missing that things don't age like we do... objects age only by observing the difrence from one preceptable frame to another :/ please refine your other questions :/

Xeinstein said:
I am having trouble understanding how the explanation of the paradox solves the problem. What if people in two different frames were moving wrt one another with constant velocity. Say for instance, these people never turn around to meet up once again and are constantly moving at a constant velocity wrt one another.

Clearly, each will percieve the other's frame to be moving more slowly than their own. There is never a change in reference frame so they disagree on who is older. Who is actually older? Are they both younger and both older simultaneously? That seems to be a weird consequence of relativity. What am I missing here?
Simultaneity between distant events isn't objective in relativity, that's what is meant by the relativity of simultaneity--If we are light-years apart, then in one frame the event of my turning 30 can be simultaneous with the event of your turning 40, in another frame the event of my turning 30 can be simultaneous with the event of your turning 20. Asking who is "really" older in this case would be like asking which of two objects moving slower than light is "really" moving at a greater speed, in relativity these questions are frame-dependent so there simply is no single correct answer.
Xeinstein said:
Also, I know the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames. However, it does not necessarily have to be constant in accelerated frames, correct?
That's correct.

Noone said:
your missing that things don't age like we do... objects age only by observing the difrence from one preceptable frame to another :/ please refine your other questions :/
That doesn't really make any sense. Any object that you can attach a clock to can be said to age exactly like we do, with the age just defined as the elapsed time on the clock.

play with a tape recorder, and record your self talking at a slower turning speed. then play it back at a faster turning speed. your voice would be slower. do the oppisite and it would be faster

Noone said:
play with a tape recorder, and record your self talking at a slower turning speed. then play it back at a faster turning speed. your voice would be slower. do the oppisite and it would be faster
What do tape recorders have to do with Xeinstein's question?

1. What is the Twins Paradox in relativity?

The Twins Paradox is a thought experiment in special relativity that involves two identical twins, one of whom travels through space at high speeds while the other remains on Earth. According to the theory of relativity, the traveling twin will experience time dilation and will age slower than the stationary twin. This results in a situation where the traveling twin will be younger than the stationary twin when they are reunited.

2. Why is the Twins Paradox confusing?

The Twins Paradox is confusing because it seems to violate the principle of time symmetry in physics. According to this principle, if two events occur in opposite directions, they should have the same outcome. However, in the Twins Paradox, one twin ages slower than the other, which goes against this principle.

3. How is the Twins Paradox resolved in relativity?

The Twins Paradox is resolved in relativity by taking into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction. Time dilation occurs when an object is moving at high speeds, causing time to pass slower for that object. Length contraction refers to the shortening of an object's length in the direction of motion. When both of these effects are considered, it is clear that the traveling twin experiences less time than the stationary twin, leading to the age difference.

4. Can the Twins Paradox be tested in real life?

Yes, the Twins Paradox has been tested in real life using atomic clocks. In 1971, astronaut Joseph Allen traveled in space for 5.5 days while his identical twin brother stayed on Earth. When they were reunited, the clocks on Earth showed that the traveling twin had aged slower, confirming the predictions of relativity.

5. Are there any real-life implications of the Twins Paradox?

Yes, the Twins Paradox has real-life implications for space travel and the study of time. It shows that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity. This has important implications for space travel, as astronauts traveling at high speeds will experience time differently than those on Earth. The Twins Paradox also challenges our understanding of time and has led to further research and developments in the field of relativity.