Twisting knobs on the Std. Muddle

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an article by Robert Cahn called "Eighteen Parameters of the Standard Model in Your Everyday Life" which discusses how small changes in fundamental constants can have a big impact on our world. The conversation also mentions other books and articles that touch on the same topic and suggests looking into natural (Planck) units for further exploration. One person also shares their own work on dimensional analysis and offers it to the community for free. Another person shares a paper on the same topic that does not include any mathematical equations.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
this is an example of a kind of article I'd like to read more of
it is by robert cahn (at LBL Berkeley?)
and is called

"Eighteen Parameters of the Standard Model in Your Everyday Life"

the way to get it is to go to Carrol's blog, he has it for download in PS
and then you have to convert to PDF
http://preposterousuniverse.blogspo...erousuniverse_archive.html#110297937006874782

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF SOMETHING ELSE LIKE THIS ONLINE?
maybe even better or more convenient?

It tries to bring home how the Std Mdl is really about everyday life
because if some of the parameters were changed then there would
be different chemical elements, or maybe no chemical elements at all,
and maybe stars wouldn't be able to burn, or would burn too fast

and the parameters are some finite set of pure dimensionless numbers, because they are ratios (ultimately to universal quantities like the Planck quantities)

so there are these 18 or 26 or some number of pure absolute numbers which are so important in everyday life

but I don't know of any online article that makes this point in a simple
non-goofy way and provides a decent level of detail

maybe this is the best there is-----anybody have an alternative link?

Physics news on Phys.org
I havn't seen the paper but it sounds like the kind of work I have read in "Just Six Numbers" by Martin Rees, and "The Constants of Nature" byJohn D. Barrow. These are books Which can be found in inexpensive printings at your local big box book store.

nc

thanks NC,
I have seen similarly titled pieces in hardcopy too. there was an excellent discussion in the Scientific American some time back about the effects that slight variation in some fundamental constants would have on everyday life.
But I tried to remember and realized I couldn't think of when or by whom!

Maybe we should collect some hardcopy titles, like the ones you offer here, and list them too, along with online sources.

what I especially want, though, is more online material.
online material gives people at a forum something they can all have
access to, and can discuss and reference.

I suspect there is something more out there besides this piece by Robert Cahn. still hope to hear of it.

One thing Robert Cahn does is imagine for us what would happen if the mass gap between the electron and the muon
were gradually narrowed

what changes would start happening in our world

another thing he touches on is what the world would be like if the
mass of the top quark were an order of magnitude less than it actually is.

----------------

maybe this gives an idea. he is not talking merely about varying a few familiar constants--------I guess a fair number of people have described the radically different world one would get if alpha (fine structure const) were varied by a couple of percent!

talking about varying alpha, or the proton mass, or the cosmological constant, is a good start but it just scratches the surface

Robert Cahn although he talks about a few different ones, also only whets the appetite

a lot more could be written on this, and I hope it has and is available online!

It might be useful for people interested in this area to have a look at the Wikipedia work of Robert Bristow-Johnson and others on natural (Planck) units, which may be easier to manipulate. Have a look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units

I am doing some original work which I would be happy to share, taking the idea of natural units and applying dimensional analysis from the point of view of strong space-time equivalence. Velocity reduces to a dimensionless number, and there is an interesting geometric relationship to be seen between voltage, resistance, and the inverse of current. Since I have no career, and am generally a foolish advocate of altruism and cooperation over competition, I give this to the community freely, if anyone is interested.

I just hope I don't get hit by a truck. It would be nice if one of the big, powerful academic machinery drivers would stoop down to give me a lift, but that is too much for a nightcleaner guy to expect, I guess. Oh well. Onward and upward.

nc

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of twisting knobs on the Std. Muddle?

The purpose of twisting knobs on the Std. Muddle is to adjust the settings and parameters of the device in order to achieve a desired outcome or result. The knobs control various aspects of the device's function, such as intensity, frequency, or duration.

2. How do I know which knobs to twist on the Std. Muddle?

The specific knobs to twist on the Std. Muddle will depend on what you are trying to achieve. It is important to familiarize yourself with the device's manual or instructions to understand the function of each knob and how they can be used to achieve different outcomes.

3. Can twisting knobs on the Std. Muddle be dangerous?

In most cases, twisting knobs on the Std. Muddle is not dangerous. However, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and guidelines when using the device to avoid any potential hazards. Make sure to read and understand all safety instructions before using the device.

4. What happens if I twist the knobs too far on the Std. Muddle?

If you twist the knobs too far on the Std. Muddle, it could potentially cause damage to the device or disrupt its function. It is important to use caution and follow the recommended settings and parameters to avoid any potential issues.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when twisting knobs on the Std. Muddle?

Yes, there are some precautions you should take when using the Std. Muddle. Make sure to read and understand the device's manual or instructions before use. Use caution when adjusting knobs and do not force them if they are difficult to turn. It is also important to use the device in a well-ventilated area and to avoid contact with any liquids.