Twitter Worker Making $160K Struggling to Survive?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Twitter
In summary, a Twitter employee making $160,000 in the San Francisco Bay Area feels poor. He has to borrow money to make ends meet, and even on that salary he is not comfortable.
Ryan_m_b said:
And my point was that with respect: you do live an incredibly privileged life which from many people's perspective could be considered lavish. You have a large pension fund, you own property and you have savings in the form of a college fund with five figures worth of money in it. Sure maybe you're not living a constant life of consumerist luxury because you're making smart choices, but I don't consider this in any way struggling and reiterate the point made earlier that it would be almost insulting to suggest it's so given how much of the population enjoy so much less.

What is sad is that what you're describing is the standard middle class cultural narrative (I am from the UK but I suspect the US and UK are in line on this one). Forty years ago home ownership, savings, pension funds etc were all pretty standard even if just one partner was working in a standard job. Now, especially in cities, this is a pipe dream for anyone who isn't earning significantly over the average.
I understand it is a lifestyle many would envy, but why call it privileged? He may have sacrificed 10 years in grad school, incurring a large debt. How is that privileged? EDIT: Re "lavish" I would say that living off dividends or interest is a lavish lifestyle, a lifestyle of freedom, unlike living paycheck-to-paycheck, or off the principal.

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Parking, repairs, tickets... Estimated(Avg.) yearly cost of maintaining a car in the US is around $10,000. Monthly parking can easily go over $1,000.
So ride a scooter to work half the parking lots are is free for motorcycles and scooters gas is super cheap and insurance is like $60 a year I think my five year tag cost me $50

Andy SV said:
So ride a scooter to work half the parking lots are is free for motorcycles and scooters gas is super cheap and insurance is like $60 a year I think my five year tag cost me $50
EDIT I myself don't drive, I was just responding to Evo's post on the cost of having a car. I was mentioning aspects I thought she had missed.

WWGD said:
EDIT I myself don't drive, I was just responding to Evo's post on the cost of having a car. I was mentioning aspects I thought she had missed.
Probably live longer that way

Andy SV said:
Probably live longer that way
Indeed, and I want to experience the city "directly" , which is hard to do as a car. I would need an amazing offer to pull me out of a city where I can get by without a car.

WWGD said:
Parking, repairs, tickets... Estimated(Avg.) yearly cost of maintaining a car in the US is around $10,000. Monthly parking can easily go over $1,000.
It goes back to lifestyle choices. Not including the cost of the car, I pay $5,000 per year in car related expenses for 18,000 miles of driving. Someone who lives in a city and doesn't commute to work would drive/pay substantially less. My Kia Optima (bought new) costs me about an additional $4,800 a year to buy, if I keep it 7 years. In total, that's $9,800, which is a bit above the AAA estimate for 2015 of $8,700. I'm comfortable with that for being a reasonably high mileage driver.

For the parking expense, if someone legitimately pays more for parking than all the rest of their car expenses combined, I have a hard time believing they aren't doing something wrong. If you lived in a city, you could take an Uber to work for less.

Someone who pays more than the average and complains about it is really just complaining about their own life choices. Still not finding any basis for sympathy.

WWGD said:
Indeed, and I want to experience the city "directly" , which is hard to do as a car. I would need an amazing offer to pull me out of a city where I can get by without a car.
Unfortunately for me PHX is just to wide open and 115 it's to hot to walk much

russ_watters said:
It goes back to lifestyle choices. Not including the cost of the car, I pay $5,000 per year in car related expenses for 18,000 miles of driving. Someone who lives in a city and doesn't commute to work would drive/pay substantially less. My Kia Optima (bought new) costs me about an additional $4,800 a year to buy, if I keep it 7 years. In total, that's $9,800, which is a bit above the AAA estimate for 2015 of $8,700. I'm comfortable with that for being a reasonably high mileage driver.

Someone who pays more than the average and complains about it is really just complaining about their own life choices. Still not finding any basis for sympathy.
I agree ,I am not defending his choices; I was replying to Evo's post. But consider too that for a working couple, each must own a car, and that the yearly average may vary from city to city. That would make it some $17,400; a big chunk of change.

Likes russ_watters
Andy SV said:
Unfortunately for me PHX is just to wide open and 115 it's to hot to walk much
Yes, I was there for a week once, started sweating loads just minutes after exiting the airport.. Dry heat my A#$%.

WWGD said:
That's ridiculous. I don't get tickets, parking is free here, I don't have any repairs on my car. At most in any year with even an old car the most I've paid in repairs was $1,200, sign it was time to get a new car. How much my car costs isn't a factor because I would still have the car even if I didn't drive to work.

So it depends where you choose to live/work. The only times I had to work at offices that had parking garages/lots that they didn't own, the company paid for the parking.

Evo said:
That's ridiculous. I don't get tickets, parking is free here, I don't have any repairs on my car. At most in any year with even an old car the most I've paid in repairs was $1,200, sign it was time to get a new car.

So it depends where you choose to live/work. The only times I had to work at offices that had parking garages/lots that they didn't own, the company paid for the parking.
I guess it also depends on the mileage : https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/16/aaa-car-ownership-costs/2070397/. And you may have to park when you go for errands, shopping, etc.

WWGD said:
I guess it also depends on the mileage : https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/16/aaa-car-ownership-costs/2070397/. And you may have to park when you go for errands, shopping, etc.
Where I live in the suburbs, all of my shopping, food, mall, restaurants, doctors and even a major hospital are within a 2 mile radius, extend that to 5 miles and you've got 2 major hospitals. Parking is free here. Lots of parking. A perk of living in the less cluttered parts of the US. Plus they now have a car park where you can take the bus downtown if that's where you work.

When I lived in Chicago, I lived in the suburbs. People drove or were dropped off at the neighborhood train station and took the train into Chicago to go to work. Very cheap.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Where I live in the suburbs, all of my shopping, food, mall, restaurants, doctors and even a major hospital are within a 2 mile radius, extend that to 5 miles and you've got 2 major hospitals. Parking is free here. Lots of parking. A perk of living in the less cluttered parts of the US. Plus they now have a car park where you can take the bus downtown if that's where you work.

When I lived in Chicago, I lived in the suburbs. People drove or were dropped off at the neighborhood train station and took the train into Chicago to go to work. Very cheap.
When I lived in Florida ( all 'burbs except for parts of Miami) I had to drive to places that were less than half a mile away, because of the layout, cities designed to maximize the flow of cars at the expense of pedestrians' convenience and arguably even safety. EDIt : by "all 'burbs" I refer to the average density.

We have a lite electric train line in PHX it is incorporated into the bus service.
It is growing every year
A months bus pass is $64. I can get one free and good for a year at work but I prefer to ride my scooter.

russ_watters said:
For the parking expense, if someone legitimately pays more for parking than all the rest of their car expenses combined, I have a hard time believing they aren't doing something wrong. If you lived in a city, you could take an Uber to work for less.

That would be me. My wife and I pay for parking our car in NYC. We pay 700 monthly for our spot. My wife's a lawyer and travels often to upstate New York. Our only cost for the car is maintenance and fuel since it's paid off. While some people would argue that she could take public transit and save that expense. We prefer the convenience of her being able to not plan around shuttle schedules. Plus it's really nice to have a car when we transport our dogs. It's simple to take them to the Upper West Side instead of dealing with a doggie taxi :) or awkward local dog runs.

MarneMath said:
That would be me. My wife and I pay for parking our car in NYC. We pay 700 monthly for our spot. My wife's a lawyer and travels often to upstate New York. Our only cost for the car is maintenance and fuel since it's paid off. While some people would argue that she could take public transit and save that expense. We prefer the convenience of her being able to not plan around shuttle schedules. Plus it's really nice to have a car when we transport our dogs. It's simple to take them to the Upper West Side instead of dealing with a doggie taxi :) or awkward local dog runs.
Yikes. But being a lawyer I think I could justify the expense.

Naturally, and she's able to charge the expensive of driving to her clients, so in the long run, we probably actually make a profit off the car.

Likes russ_watters
russ_watters said:
My Kia Optima (bought new) costs me...
A little extra... for the music, right ? [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] lol

OCR said:
A little extra... for the music, right ? [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] lol
I suspect I'm subsidizing the Soul commercials, but still worth every penny!

Likes OCR