Understanding Acceleration: Solving Two Rocket and Gun Questions

• Thread starter username111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the first problem involves a rocket traveling at 155 m/s and accelerating at a rate of -31.0 m/s^2. Using the given equations, we can determine that it will take approximately 5 seconds for the rocket to reach 0 m/s and it will travel a distance of 387.5 meters during this time. After 8 seconds, the rocket will have a velocity of 124 m/s. The second problem involves a gun giving a small object a velocity of 3.5 km/s over a distance of 2.0 cm. By setting the initial velocity to 0 km/s and the final velocity to 3.5 km/s, we can solve for the acceleration and time interval,
username111

Homework Statement

1) A rocket traveling at 155 m/s is accelerated at a rate of -31.0 m/s^2.
a. how long will it take before the instantaneous speed is 0 m/s.
b. how far will it travel during this time?
c. what will be it's velocity after 8.00 s?

Homework Equations

i have all of the following formulas:
vf = vi+at
d = (vf+vi)/2 x t
d = (vi)(t) + 1/2(a)(t)^2
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2(a)(d)

i don't think any of these equations will work for the problem. i really need help deciding which one of these to use, if any of these are even usable for the problem. do i make the initial velocity 0 m/s and the final velocity 115 m/s? and then solve for time? i really have no idea. I'm just assuming that's what i'd do.

one more...

Homework Statement

2) one such gun can give a small object a velocity of 3.5 km/s moving it through only 2.0 cm.
a. what acceleration does the gun give this object?
b. over what time interval does the acceleration take place?

Homework Equations

do i use 2.0 cm as the displacement, and make initial velocity 0 km/s and final velocity 3.5 km/s? or am i completely wrong?

thank you so much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
username111 said:

Homework Statement

1) A rocket traveling at 155 m/s is accelerated at a rate of -31.0 m/s^2.
a. how long will it take before the instantaneous speed is 0 m/s.
b. how far will it travel during this time?
c. what will be it's velocity after 8.00 s?

Homework Equations

i have all of the following formulas:
vf = vi+at
d = (vf+vi)/2 x t
d = (vi)(t) + 1/2(a)(t)^2
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2(a)(d)

i don't think any of these equations will work for the problem. i really need help deciding which one of these to use, if any of these are even usable for the problem. do i make the initial velocity 0 m/s and the final velocity 115 m/s? and then solve for time? i really have no idea. I'm just assuming that's what i'd do.
Why are you guessing? You are told (1) the rocket starts (initially) moving at 115 m/s and finally stops at 0 m/s. So it should be clear to you what the "initial" and "final" speeds are. You are also told the acceleration and exactly ONE of the equations you wrote above has "initial velocity", "final velocity", "acceleration", and "time". Since you know three of those, you should be able to solve that equation for the fourth.

one more...

Homework Statement

2) one such gun can give a small object a velocity of 3.5 km/s moving it through only 2.0 cm.
a. what acceleration does the gun give this object?
b. over what time interval does the acceleration take place?

Homework Equations

do i use 2.0 cm as the displacement, and make initial velocity 0 km/s and final velocity 3.5 km/s? or am i completely wrong?

thank you so much for any help!
Yes, that is exactly right. Here, you are NOT given the acceleration but are asked for two things: the acceleration and the time. You need to use two of the equations you have above, ones that involve the things you are given, and then solve the two equations for a and t.

i got them. thanks a lot! my "teacher" doesn't go over problems with us, just gives us formulas, so every bit of help goes far. :)

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented mathematically as a = (vf - vi) / t. Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a particular moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated using the formula mentioned above, while instantaneous acceleration requires knowledge of the object's position and velocity at that specific moment.

What factors affect acceleration?

Acceleration can be affected by several factors, including the force applied to an object, its mass, and the direction of the force. The presence of friction or air resistance can also impact acceleration.

How does acceleration relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger force will result in a greater acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.