Two, atleast to me, perplexing chem problems

• Thread starter relativitydude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary: Kc = [AgCl2]^2/[Ag2S][Cl]^4[H]^2, and then solve for the missing concentrations. However, you may need to know the Ksp for Ag2S and Ka1, Ka2 for H2S to find the concentrations. Without that information, it may not be possible to find the equilibrium constant.
relativitydude
1) Calculate the pH at the equivalence point in titrating 0.10 M solution of HBR with 0.08 M NaOH

I know how to do the problem if volume amounts are included. I don't know how many liters are used and consequently the number of moles. Should I just invent some volume for one and calculate the pH based on how much the other takes to titrate it?

2)I need to calculate the equilibrium constant for

Ag2S + 4CL + 2H <---> 2AgCl2 + H2S

The only information provided is Kf (what the heck is Kf?) is 1.1x10^5 for AgCl2

How does one proceed? Thanks! :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
relativitydude said:
Calculate the pH at the equivalence point in titrating 0.10 M solution of HBR with 0.08 M NaOH

I know how to do the problem if volume amounts are included. I don't know how many liters are used and consequently the number of moles. Should I just invent some volume for one and calculate the pH based on how much the other takes to titrate it?

You may try with volumes - say - Va and Vb (for acid and base) - and do the symbolic calculations first. Volumes will cancel out at the end, as the only important thing here is the ratio of concentrations - to neutralize Va HBr solution you need 0.1/0.08*Va NaOH solution, so total volume at the end is (1+0.1/0.08)Va and so on.

Try my BATE (see footer for link) for such calculations of pH and titration curve.

The only information provided is Kf (what the heck is Kf?) is 1.1x10^5 for AgCl2

Kf stands probably for complex formation constant. Next time write the equation with all charges, it will be much easier to understand. I wonder if it is possible to find answer without Ksp for Ag2S and Ka1, Ka2 for H2S... Ksp for AgCl s not a problem, as it is easy to remember (1e-10).

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

1) Calculate the pH at the equivalence point in titrating 0.10 M solution of HBR with 0.08 M NaOH

You're asked for the pH. It'll be 7 at equivalence point. The equivalence point is when all of the strong acid/base has reacted with the strong base/acid. Perhaps HBr isnot considered a strong acid, then you'll need to know the Ka.

2)I need to calculate the equilibrium constant for

How does one proceed? Thanks! :)

I believe what you can do here to is to multiply the Kf by 2

1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more different types of atoms chemically bonded together.

2. How do you calculate the molar mass of a compound?

The molar mass of a compound can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of each element present in the compound. The atomic masses can be found on the periodic table, and the units are in grams per mole (g/mol).

3. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms on the product side. This can be achieved by placing coefficients in front of the chemical formulas.

4. What is the difference between exothermic and endothermic reactions?

An exothermic reaction releases energy in the form of heat, while an endothermic reaction absorbs energy from its surroundings. In other words, exothermic reactions feel warm, while endothermic reactions feel cold.

5. How is the periodic table organized?

The periodic table is organized by increasing atomic number, which is the number of protons in an atom's nucleus. Elements with similar properties are placed in the same column, known as groups, while elements in the same row, known as periods, have the same number of electron shells.