Two balls colliding - relativity included

In summary, the problem at hand is to describe the collision of two equal mass balls in a relativistic manner and compute the angle between their movement directions after the collision. From the conservation of energy and momentum equations, we get equations (1) and (2) respectively. However, further calculations do not lead to a straightforward answer. Additional information given is the mass and momentum of one of the balls. Assistance in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.
aid

Homework Statement

So, I am to describe the collision of two balls with equal masses in a relativistic manner. The energy of the first ball is given. They're asking me to compute the angle [tex]\phi[/tex] between the directions of the balls movement after the collision.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the conservation of energy I get:

[tex]\sqrt{m^2c^2 + p^2c^2} = \sqrt{m^2c^2 + p^{2}_1 c^2} + \sqrt{m^2c^2 + p^{2}_2 c^2}[/tex] (1)

From the conservation of momentum I get:

[tex]p^2 = p^{2}_1 + p^{2}_2 + 2 \vec p_1 \vec p_2[/tex] (2)

Since [tex]\vec p_1 \vec p_2[/tex] is equall to [tex]... \cos \phi[/tex], I hoped it would lead me to an straightforward answer. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do next.

For example, taking square of (1):

[tex] m^2c^2 + p^2c^2 = m^2c^2 + p^{2}_1 c^2 + m^2c^2 + p^{2}_2 c^2 + 2 \sqrt{m^2c^2 + p^{2}_1 c^2} \sqrt{m^2c^2 + p^{2}_2 c^2}[/tex]

and combining it with (2) I get:

[tex]\vec p_1 \vec p_2 = \frac{m^2}{2} + \sqrt{m^2 + p^{2}_1} \sqrt{m^2 + p^{2}_2}[/tex]

But the above hardly helps me to achieve my goal. :/

Physics news on Phys.org
In case it is of any use, I have the following information:m = 5 * 10^-26 kg p_1 = 2 * 10^-22 kg m/s I would be very thankful for any help.

1. What happens when two balls collide?

When two balls collide, their kinetic energy is transferred to each other, causing them to change direction and speed. The collision can be elastic or inelastic, depending on the materials and forces involved.

2. How does relativity play a role in a collision between two balls?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the mass of an object increases as its velocity approaches the speed of light. This means that the mass of the balls increases as they collide at high speeds, affecting the forces and energies involved in the collision.

3. Can relativity explain the outcome of a collision between two balls?

Relativity can help explain the outcome of a collision by taking into account the changes in mass and energy as the balls approach the speed of light. However, other factors such as the materials, forces, and angle of collision also play a significant role.

4. How does the mass of the balls affect the collision?

The mass of the balls affects the collision by influencing the amount of kinetic energy they possess, as well as the forces and momentum involved. The greater the mass, the more energy and force will be involved in the collision.

5. Is the outcome of a collision between two balls predictable?

The outcome of a collision between two balls can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles of physics, such as conservation of energy and momentum. However, it may be challenging to account for all variables and factors, making it difficult to predict with 100% accuracy.