1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two bars and a spring

1. Jun 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two bars of masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## connected by a non-deformed light spring rest on a horizontal plane. The coefficient of friction between the bars and the surface is equal to ##k##. What minimum constant force has to be applied in the horizontal direction to the bar of mass ##m_1## in order to shift the other bar.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The second bar, ##m_2## starts to move when the force due to spring overcomes the force due to friction on ##m_2## i.e ##F_{spring}=km_2g##. When ##m_2## starts moving, ##m_1## is still moving. Applying Newton's second law on ##m_1##, ##F-km_1g-F_{spring}=m_1a## where F is the minimum constant force asked in the question. I can substitute ##F_{spring}## but that gives me an equation with two variable. How am I supposed to find F from that? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good.

Maybe.

Force analysis will only get you so far. (The spring force and acceleration of ##m_1## are not constant.)

Hint: Consider the work done by that constant force.

4. Jun 9, 2013 #3
    Why maybe? :confused:

From energy conservation,
    [tex]Fx=\frac{1}{2}cx^2+\frac{1}{2}m_1v^2+km_1gx[/tex]
    where ##x## is the displacement of ##m_1## and ##c## is the spring constant.

I don't know v but if I put v=0, I do get the right answer but why is v=0? :confused:

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Because you want the minimum force F that will just move ##m_2##.

6. Jun 9, 2013 #5
    Thanks Doc Al! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted