Two blocks and a pulley, friction

• Thread starter nbaumann
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Two masses are connected by a string which passes over a frictionless, massless pulley. One mass hangs vertically and one slides on a horizontal surface. The horizontal surface has a coefficient of kinetic friction 0.2. The vertically hanging mass is 4.0 kg and the mass on the horizontal surface is 6.0 kg. Find the acceleration of the mass.

Homework Equations

T=mBg-mBa

The Attempt at a Solution

I've basically done this problem without factoring friction, and this my problem, I don't know how to factor friction.

a = (mBg)/(mA + mB) is what I used.

Thanks!!

Answers and Replies

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two masses are connected by a string which passes over a frictionless, massless pulley. One mass hangs vertically and one slides on a horizontal surface. The horizontal surface has a coefficient of kinetic friction 0.2. The vertically hanging mass is 4.0 kg and the mass on the horizontal surface is 6.0 kg. Find the acceleration of the mass.

Homework Equations

T=mBg-mBa

The Attempt at a Solution

I've basically done this problem without factoring friction, and this my problem, I don't know how to factor friction.

a = (mBg)/(mA + mB) is what I used.

Thanks!!
Welcome to Physics Forums,

You should look again at the tension in the string, is that the only condition that the tension needs to satisfy? What about the other block?

Thanks for your reply.

This was really as far as I got. Wouldn't the tension just apply once? As there is only one string?