1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two blocks and a string

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    Block1 has a mass of 8.63 kg and block2 has a mass of 1.24 kg. b1 is on an inclined plane with no friction. The plane is 30 degrees from the horizontal. b1 is connected to b2 with a string-pully system (no mass or friction). b2 is on a horizontal plane witha kinetic friction of .145 Block m1 is sliding down, pulling block m2. I have to find the tension in the string and the acceleration of the blocks. so i did this:

(mass(b1) * 9.81 * sin 30) + (mass(b2) * 9.81 * .145) = T

to find the tension which equals 44.09 which is not the answer. I can find the acceleration once i get the tension i believe by f=ma.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The most straightforward way to solve this problem is by separately applying Newton's 2nd law to each block. Combine those equations to solve for the tension and acceleration, the two unknowns. (Since the blocks are connected, they both have the same acceleration.)

4. Sep 18, 2005 #3
    i tried F=ma and i got 22.045 N and it still doesn't work

5. Sep 18, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Did you do what I suggested? Apply F=ma to each block separately. You'll get two equations.

6. Sep 18, 2005 #5
    yeah i did it and i got :

(U*g*m(2) + m(1)*g* sin(theta))/2 = T

so it was (1.7638 + 42.37) /2 = 22.04 = T

but it is not right

7. Sep 19, 2005 #6

Doc Al

Analyze each block separately:
    (a) Identify the forces on m1; Apply F = ma to m1.
    (b) Identify the forces on m2; Apply F = ma to m2.

You'll get two equations. Do this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?