1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two blocks on a tabletop

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Block A (mass 2.25 kg) rests on a tabletop. It is connected by a horizontal cord passing over a frictionless pulley to a hanging block B (mass 1.30 kg.) The coefficient of kinetic friction between block A and the table is 0.450. After the blocks are released from rest, find a. the speed of each block after moving 3.00 cm and b. the tension of the cord.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Block A:
    Fgravity: (2.25kg)(9.8m/s2) = 22.05N
    Fnormal: 22.05N
    Ffriction: (22.05N)(0.450) = 9.92N
    Resultant force: 22.05N - 9.92N = 12.13N

Block B:
    Fgravity: (1.30kg)(9.8m/s2) = 12.74N

I have no idea what to do after this. I found the exact same problem through a search but I don't understand the explanation.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi cdotter! :smile:
    Sorry, but this is completely wrong :redface:

you haven't used the tension, T, at all;

and the 22.05 and the 9.92 are perpendicular, so you can't add (or subtract) them anyway.

Try again. :smile:

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3
    I now understand that the forces are perpendicular and that I can't subtract them, but how are my normal force and frictional force calculations incorrect?

5. Feb 16, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your normal force and frictional force were correct, but your "resultant force" equation was completely wrong.

Try again, using T. :smile:

6. Feb 17, 2010 #5
    Block B pulls down with 12.74N of force. Block A has a frictional force of 9.92N. Shouldn't the tension then be 12.74N+9.92N = 22.66N? My book says it's 11.7N. I have absolutely no idea where 11.7N comes from.

7. Feb 17, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, everything is accelerating, and you've left "a" out of your F = ma. :wink:

8. Feb 17, 2010 #7
    Oh, but I don't understand how to put what I have into the equation? :confused:

Block A: [itex]F_{fric}-T_{rope}=ma[/itex]
    Block B: [itex]F_{gravity}-T_{rope}=ma[/itex]

Right?

edit: I guess not. I'm so lost haha.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  9. Feb 17, 2010 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start with the lower block …

there are only two forces on it, and their total has to equal its mass times its acceleration. :smile:

10. Feb 17, 2010 #9
    Could you show me what you mean because I have absolutely no idea what to do. It has two forces acting on it: weight pulling down and the tension of the rope pulling up. I don't know how to calculate those or put them into the equation.

11. Feb 17, 2010 #10
    I figured it out by reading another post, thank you for the hints tiny-tim.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook