Two Blocks on an Incline: Solving for Acceleration and Tension

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two blocks tied together with a string on inclined planes. The first question asks for the acceleration of the blocks with no friction, while the second question asks for the tension in the string with a given mass. The final question introduces a coefficient of sliding friction and asks for the acceleration in this case. The conversation also includes a hint on how to approach the problem. After some discussion and brainstorming, the problem is eventually solved by considering the blocks as one system and drawing free-body diagrams for each block.
ssgohan434
SOLVED :)

Homework Statement

https://tycho-s.phys.washington.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys114/winter08/homework/04d/2blocks_incline_NWT/5.gif
The figure shows two identical blocks tied together with a string which passes over a pulley at the crest of the inclined planes, one of which makes an angle q1 = 30° to the horizontal, the other makes the complementary angle q2 = 60°.

a) If there is no friction anywhere, with what acceleration do the blocks move?
b) If each block has a mass m = 1 kg, what is the tension in the string while they are both moving?
c) Now suppose the coefficient of sliding friction between the blocks and planes is µ = 0.02. With what acceleration do the blocks move in this case?

Homework Equations

F = ma
Hint for a): Draw a free-body diagram for each block. Using your free-body diagram and F = ma for each block, find two equations and two unknowns, the unknowns being the acceleration (part (a)) and the tension (part (b)).

The Attempt at a Solution

My freebody diagrams for the box on the left (which I labeled box 1) included a perpendicular normal force, gravity straight down, and tension up the box.
My freebody diagram for the box on the right (box 2) included gravity down, normal force perpendicular to the plane, and tension toward the incline of the plane.

So the equation I came up with:
F=ma --->
F(box1) = Ftension - mg(sin30)
F(box2) = mg(sin60) - Ftension

and that is all I've been able to come up with for the past hour of racking my brain :( . I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
the hint is making it complicated imo, i was taught to do it like this:
a) consider the blocks as one system and ignore tension, draw one FBD for them
b) since you know that the acceleration of both of them will be the same, draw an FBD for one of them and solve for Tension.
c) same as a) except you consider the force of friction

Solved :P Thanks afg34 , I ended up basically doing what you said!

1. What is "Two Blocks on an Incline"?

"Two Blocks on an Incline" is a physics problem that involves two blocks of different masses connected by a rope or string and placed on an inclined plane. The goal is to determine the acceleration of the system and the tension in the rope.

2. What are the key factors that affect the motion of "Two Blocks on an Incline"?

The key factors that affect the motion of "Two Blocks on an Incline" include the masses of the blocks, the angle of the incline, and the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the incline surface. The length and mass of the rope or string connecting the blocks may also have an impact.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of "Two Blocks on an Incline"?

To calculate the acceleration of the system, you can use the formula a = (m1 - m2)gsinθ / (m1 + m2 + μ(m1 + m2)cosθ), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the blocks, θ is the angle of the incline, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

4. What is the tension in the rope of "Two Blocks on an Incline"?

The tension in the rope can be calculated using the formula T = (m1 + m2)gcosθ - μ(m1 + m2)gsinθ, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses of the blocks, θ is the angle of the incline, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

5. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of "Two Blocks on an Incline"?

The angle of the incline has a significant impact on the motion of "Two Blocks on an Incline." As the angle increases, the acceleration of the system decreases, and the tension in the rope increases. This is because a steeper incline increases the force of gravity pulling the blocks down, while also increasing the normal force and friction force acting on the blocks.