Two blocks - one on a table and one hanging - acceleration with friction

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, one resting on a table and one hanging from a cord over a pulley. The blocks have masses of 2.25kg and 1.30kg respectively, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block on the table and the table is 0.450. After being released from rest, the speed of each block after moving 3 cm is to be calculated. The solution involves using Newton's Second Law and the formula V^2 = V0^2 + 2a (x-x0) to find the velocity of the blocks. The frictional force and the force from the hanging block must be taken into account in the calculations.
Hemmelig
[SOLVED] Two blocks - one on a table and one hanging - acceleration with friction

Homework Statement

h ttp://bildr.no/view/186531

that's a link to an image of the problem

Block A (mass 2.25kg) rests on a table top, it is connected by a horizontal cord passing over a light , frictionless pulley to a hanging block B (mass 1.30kg). The coefficient of kinetic friction between block A and the table is 0.450

After the blocks are released from rest, find the speed of each block after moving 3 cm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the normal force for both blocks

Block A = M1g = 2.25*9.81 = 22.07N
Block B = M2g = 1.30*9.82 = 12.7N

I'm a bit unsure on how to calculate the friction force fk for this one, if it had been just a single block sitting on a horizontal then it would've been the friction coefficient * mg
My plan was to use the formula : V^2 = V0^2 + 2a (x-x0)
to find the velocity after 3cm

The blocks will have the same acceleration and the same velocity, but i don't know how to calculate either due to the frictional coefficient.

If the friction wasn't involved, i could've used a=(M2g)/(m1 + m2 )

could someone please point me in the right direction ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hemmelig said:
I'm a bit unsure on how to calculate the friction force fk for this one, if it had been just a single block sitting on a horizontal then it would've been the friction coefficient * mg
You're on the right lines, but there are two blocks so you need to take into account both their masses.

As for what to do next, I'd make use of Newton's Second Law.

Cheers for the reply

That's what i thought, so i tried going for friction force k = (friction coefficient * m1) + (friction coefficient * m2) = 15.64N

Is that correct ?

In that case, i know that the force holding it back is 15.64N , i know the total pull is normal force A + Normal force B is = 34,82N

Am i going in the right direction ?

I don't really know what to do next with Newtons second law

F=ma

According to the solution in the back of the book, the velocity is supposed to be 0.218m/s

Last edited:
Hemmelig said:
Cheers for the reply

That's what i thought, so i tried going for friction force k = (friction coefficient * m1) + (friction coefficient * m2) = 15.64N

Is that correct ?
Hang on sorry, scratch my previous post. I thought the two blocks were on top of each other, which is not the case. Since only block A experiences friction, you only need to calculate the frictional force for this block. For this bit you can ignore the second block and treat block A in isolation. Do you follow?

Ah, in that case, i'll end up with a frictional force fk that is:

fk=frictional coefficient * m1g = 9.93

I still have no idea what to do next though :/

The magnitude of F is the sum of both blocks, right ?

So basicly F = (frictional coefficient * M1g) + (m2g)

F = 22.68N

Correct ?

Hemmelig said:
Ah, in that case, i'll end up with a frictional force fk that is:

fk=frictional coefficient * m1g = 9.93
Correct :approve:
Hemmelig said:
The magnitude of F is the sum of both blocks, right ?

So basicly F = (frictional coefficient * M1g) + (m2g)

F = 22.68N

Correct ?
Not quite, but you have the right idea. Now can you start by writing down the sum of the forces acting on block A? Don't try and put numbers in, just use words or symbols.

The sum of forces working on Block A is:

the normal force n, which is the same as mg
fk = the frictional force that tries to hold it back
then you have the force from block B which is trying to pull block A

Hemmelig said:
The sum of forces working on Block A is:

the normal force n, which is the same as mg
fk = the frictional force that tries to hold it back
then you have the force from block B which is trying to pull block A
Correct, since Block A doesn't move in the vertical direction we can ignore the normal force. So now we have,

[tex]\sum F_A = T - \mu mg[/tex]

Where T is the tension in the string. Do you agree? Can you do the same for the second block?

I see

I'm on my way out, so i'll try when i get back in

Just one more thing, i tried doing this and i got the right acceleration, but i don't really know if I'm allowed to do it

I know the frictional force fk that is trying to hold the blocks back

I know the force that block B is trying to pull with

So i tried force block b = mg = 12.753N

Total force = force block b - frictional force = 12,753 - 9.93 = 2.823

F=ma
F=2.823
m=block a + block b = 2.25 + 1.30 = 3.55

a = F/m = 2.823 / 3.55 = 0.792

When i then use V^2 = V0^2 + 2a (x-x0)

I get V= 0.2179

Which is the correct answer

I'm afraid your solution isn't correct. It's just shear luck that your answer came out close to the actual answer of 0.21833...m/s

Hootenanny said:
Correct, since Block A doesn't move in the vertical direction we can ignore the normal force. So now we have,

[tex]\sum F_A = T - \mu mg[/tex]

Where T is the tension in the string. Do you agree? Can you do the same for the second block?

Hmm, I'm not sure what the second block will be

[tex]\sum F_B= N + (-mg)[/tex] ?

Last edited:
Careful, there is no normal reaction force acting on block B.

Which two forces are acting on block B? In what direction to the act in relation to the motion of B (i.e. in the same direction of motion or in the opposite direction)?

Hootenanny said:
Careful, there is no normal reaction force acting on block B.

Which two forces are acting on block B? In what direction to the act in relation to the motion of B (i.e. in the same direction of motion or in the opposite direction)?

Hmm, the two forces acting on B is it's mass and g. They are acting downwards, which is in the same direction of the motion of B

Right ?

Hemmelig said:
Hmm, the two forces acting on B is it's mass and g. They are acting downwards, which is in the same direction of the motion of B

Right ?
No, mass isn't a force and neither is g (g is acceleration due to gravity, which is not a force). It's weight is one force, but what is the other one? What is block B attached to? Look at my expression in post #8.

Drawing a free body diagram of block B may help.

Last edited:
Hmm

Well, it's weight is trying to pull block B down, while Block A and the friction is basicly holding back.

Hemmelig said:
Well, it's weight is trying to pull block B down
Hemmelig said:
while Block A and the friction is basicly holding back.
Correct, and this resistance to motion is transferred through the tension is the rope.

Can you now write an expression for the sum of the forces on the second block, as I did for the first?

The tension in the rope connecting the blocks is \mu * m(a)g

So the sum of all forces working on block B is it's weight trying to pull it down, minus the tension of the rope ?

Hemmelig said:
The tension in the rope connecting the blocks is \mu * m(a)g
No it isn't, if it was, your previous method would be correct. The tension has to account for the frictional force, the weight of the block B and the acceleration of the two blocks.
Hemmelig said:
So the sum of all forces working on block B is it's weight trying to pull it down, minus the tension of the rope ?
This however, is correct. Therefore,

[tex]\sum F_B= m_Bg - T[/tex]

Do you follow? Can you now apply Newton's second law to both these net forces?

Hmm, i don't really know what to do next

It would be more of a guess than actual knowledge :/

Hemmelig said:
Hmm, i don't really know what to do next

It would be more of a guess than actual knowledge :/
A guess is better than nothing :biggrin:! Newton's second law states that,

[tex]\sum \vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/tex]

So, can you make an educated guess?

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
A guess is better than nothing :biggrin:! Newton's second law states that,

[tex]\sum \vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/tex]

So, can you make an educated guess?

Well

My guess basicly brings me down the same route as before

Can i say:

Sum of all forces F= sum of Force(a) + sum of force(b) = 2.823N

Then i can just use F=ma to find a ? by dividing F with the total mass of the two blocks

But that's basicly what i did earlier on, which was wrong

Hemmelig said:
Well

My guess basicly brings me down the same route as before

Can i say:

Sum of all forces F= sum of Force(a) + sum of force(b) = 2.823N

Then i can just use F=ma to find a ? by dividing F with the total mass of the two blocks

But that's basicly what i did earlier on, which was wrong
No, unfortunately you can't do that. You must consider each block separately, so for the first block one would write,

[tex]\sum F_A = T - \mu m_A\cdot g = m_A\cdot a[/tex]

Do you follow? Can you do the same for the second block?

Hmm

[tex]
\sum F_B = mg - T = m_B\cdot a[/tex]

?

Hemmelig said:
Hmm

[tex]
\sum F_B = mg - T = m_B\cdot a[/tex]

?

Hmm, so what do i do next ?

I don't know T and i don't know a

Hemmelig said:
Hmm, so what do i do next ?

I don't know T and i don't know a
Hmmm, you have a system of simultaneous equations, two equations with two unknowns. Solve.

Ah, ofcourse

From equation a i have that T=12,753 - 1,3a

From equation b i have that T=2,25a + 9,93

I solve for T and get a=2,823/3,55 = 0,7952

I then put it into equation a and get t=11,71

I can then use V^2 = V0^2 + 2a (x-x0) to find the speed after 0.03m (is that the best equation to use ? )

I get v=0,2184307076

Thank you so much for your help

Hemmelig said:
I can then use V^2 = V0^2 + 2a (x-x0) to find the speed after 0.03m (is that the best equation to use ? )
Yup, that's the one that I would use :approve:
Hemmelig said:
Thank you so much for your help
A pleasure :smile:.

As an aside, this method is applicable to any pulley question.
  1. Identify the forces acting on each individual body.
  2. Plug the results of (1) into Newton's Second Law, again for each individual body.
  3. You know that if the string is light and inextensible the tension and acceleration must be the same for each body.
  4. Solve for a and T.

Last edited:
Great :)

Again, thank you so much

What is the relationship between mass and acceleration for the two blocks?

The relationship between mass and acceleration for the two blocks is described by Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of the blocks increases, the acceleration decreases, and vice versa.

How does friction affect the acceleration of the two blocks?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and is caused by the interaction between two surfaces. In the case of the two blocks, friction between the block on the table and the surface it is in contact with will decrease its acceleration, while friction between the hanging block and the string will have no effect on its acceleration. This is because the hanging block is not in contact with any surface and thus not subject to friction.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the initial motion of an object, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object already in motion. In the case of the two blocks, static friction is present between the block on the table and the surface it is on, while kinetic friction is present between the block and the string.

How does the angle of the string affect the acceleration of the hanging block?

The angle of the string does not affect the acceleration of the hanging block. As long as the string remains taut, the hanging block will experience the same acceleration as the block on the table. The angle of the string only affects the tension in the string, which is a separate force acting on the hanging block.

How does the coefficient of friction affect the acceleration of the block on the table?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. As the coefficient of friction increases, the friction force also increases, resulting in a decrease in the acceleration of the block on the table. This is because a higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance to the motion of the block.