Two Blocks Sliding: Find Accel & Tension

In summary, the two blocks with weights of 3.6 N and 7.5 N slide down a 30° inclined plane connected by a massless string. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lighter block and the plane is 0.10 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the heavier block and the plane is 0.20. The magnitude of the acceleration of the blocks is 3.5 m/s^2 and the tension in the string is 2.6.
seraphimhouse

Homework Statement

Two blocks, of weights 3.6 N and 7.5 N, are connected by a massless string and slide down a 30° inclined plane. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lighter block and the plane is 0.10; that between the heavier block and the plane is 0.20. Assuming that the lighter block leads, find (a) the magnitude of the acceleration of the blocks and (b) the tension in the string.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Doing the free body diagram for the heavy weight,

x-axis: Fn(Heavy) - Fg(heavy)sin(theta) = 0 so, Fn(heavy) = Fg(heavy)sin(theta)

y-axis: Fk(heavy) - Ft - Fg(heavy)cos(theta) = -m(heavy)a

For the light weight i got,

x-axis: Fn(light) - Fg(light)sin(theta) = 0 so, Fn(light) = Fg(light)sin(theta)

y-axos: Ft + Fk(light) - Fg(light)cos(theta) = -m(light)a

I equated each block equation to equal to the Ft to get:

M(heavy)a + fk(heavy) - Fg(hanging)cos(theta) = Fg(light)cos(theta) - fk(light) - m(light)a

I set it equal to acceleration but I get the wrong answer.

I also got the mass of each weight by dividing it by g (9.8 m/s^2) Can this be my mistake in the equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your last equation is wrong.
The acceleration of the heavy block is given as
[ Fk(heavy) - Ft - Fg(hang)cos(theta)]/M = -a
Similarly write down the acceleration for light block.

I setted them both equal to the tension and solved for a.

seraphimhouse said:
I setted them both equal to the tension and solved for a.
Will you show the calculations, please?

M(heavy)a + fk(heavy) - Fg(hanging)cos(theta) = Fg(light)cos(theta) - fk(light) - m(light)a

The tension force from the heavy block and the light block.

a = [Fg(light)cos(theta) - Uk(light)Fn(light) - Uk(heavy)Fn(Heavy) + Fg(heavy)cos(theta)] / (m(hang) + m(light)

The answer in the back should be 3.5 m/s^2

1. What is the setup for the experiment?

The experiment involves two blocks connected by a string passing over a pulley. One block is suspended in the air while the other is on a horizontal surface. The suspended block has a known mass while the other block's mass is unknown. The surface is frictionless and a force is applied to the suspended block to cause it to accelerate.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of the blocks?

The acceleration of the blocks can be calculated using the formula a = (m1g - T)/m1, where m1 is the known mass of the suspended block, g is the gravitational acceleration, and T is the tension in the string.

3. How do you determine the tension in the string?

The tension in the string can be determined using the formula T = m2a + m2g, where m2 is the unknown mass of the block on the horizontal surface and a is the calculated acceleration of the blocks.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the results?

The accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction between the blocks and surface, and the precision of the equipment used. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to obtain accurate results.

5. How can this experiment be applied in real-life situations?

This experiment can be applied in real-life situations to determine the acceleration and tension in systems where objects are connected by strings or ropes. This can be useful in engineering and construction to ensure the safety and stability of structures. It can also be used to study the dynamics of moving objects and to make predictions about their behavior.