1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two blocks with different mass are attached to either end of a light rope that passes

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two blocks with different mass are attached to either end of a light rope that passes over a light, frictionless pulley that is suspended from the ceiling. The masses are released from rest, and the more massive one starts to descend. After this block has descended a distance 1.30 m, its speed is 3.50m/s .

If the total mass of the two blocks is 14.0 kg, what is the mass of the more massive block?

2. Relevant equations

(1/2)mv1^2+mgy1=(1/2)mv2^2+mgy2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can someone help me get started with this problem? I'm not sure I am using the right equation or approaching it correctly

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2
    Since you know that a 14 Kg mass has been accelerated from rest to 3.50 m/s over a distance of 1.30 m, you can detemine the acceleration from the equation:
    [tex]v^{2} = u^{2} + 2as[/tex]

From there you can calculate the force required to accelerate the mass at that rate with:
    [tex]F = ma[/tex]

That will give you the difference in the weights of the two masses.

4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    What does u^2 stand for?

5. Feb 18, 2008 #4
    v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity. Perhaps you use a different type of notation. The same formula is listed last here in a different notation.

6. Feb 18, 2008 #5
    I found that the F=ma is 65.94N, but where do I go from there?

7. Feb 18, 2008 #6
    Like I said, that's the difference in their weights (though I actually get 65.96 N). You can divide that by g to find the difference in their mass since weight = mass * gravitational field strength.

If you call the two weights a and b, that will give you:
    a - b = 65.96/g

You also have
    a + b = 14

Now you have to solve the simultaneous equations.

8. Feb 18, 2008 #7
    Thanks, I got it. You guys are amazing

9. Feb 18, 2008 #8
    Nah, not amazing just ... yeah OK, amazing. :wink:

Happy to help. :smile:

10. Apr 2, 2010 #9
    Re: Two blocks with different mass are attached to either end of a light rope that pa

This appears to be a common question. I got the same thing with different values, but the formulae here worked!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?