Gravity: Is it Always the Lightest Body Moving?

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of two objects with different masses being attracted to each other by gravity. The expert explains that both bodies will move towards each other and that the center of mass does not move. They also mention that in most cases, the larger body is treated as unmoving for simplicity.
barryD
Hi, I'm reading physics in my spare time, I am reading about Newton and how he discovered the law of gravity F= G m1m2 / r2

I was wondering if the heaviest body moves as well when being attracted by the lighter body.

i.e. if two objects with different masses are positioned a distance r apart, and neglecting everything except gravity, why doesn't the heavier object move as well? Is only the lighter object moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right, both bodies will move toward each other.

I think they both move...what does not move is the center of mass. So, the big mass moves a lot less, but moves; the little mass moves a lot more.

What may be throwing you is that we often look at systems where one mass is much larger than the other. Since the acceleration of the body is inverse to its mass (a=F/m) - a much larger body moves proportionally less - we can treat it as if only the smaller body is moving.

This is much simpler. It would really be a pain in the butt if, every time we calculated the trajectory of a tennis ball, we had to take into account the movement of the Earth toward the tennis ball.

So, for most intents and purposes, we treat the much larger body as unmoving.

thanks.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, and for objects falling towards the ground when dropped.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a result of the bending of space-time caused by the presence of mass. The more massive an object is, the more it bends space-time, creating a gravitational pull towards it.

3. Is gravity always the lightest body moving?

No, gravity is not always the lightest body moving. The force of gravity is dependent on the mass and distance between two objects. In some cases, a smaller object with less mass may have a stronger gravitational pull towards a larger object with more mass.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards each other. It can cause objects to accelerate towards each other, as seen with planets orbiting the sun. It also causes objects to fall towards the ground when dropped.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are researching ways to create artificial gravity in space and to harness the power of gravity for space travel.