Finding the inertial frame in the two-body problem in GR

In summary: Gravitation" (Springer, 2008) has a detailed discussion of the problem.In summary, in order to find the inertial frame of a test particle in a stable circular orbit in the Schwarzschild vacuum solution, you need to solve the two-body problem in gtr and match the solution to the real world. You can also find the inertial frame of a test particle in a stable circular orbit by solving the two-body problem in a stable inertial frame, and computing the tidal tensor as measured by a test particle in a stable circular orbit.
lalbatros
This weekend I played the game of the perihelion precession in GR.
I started with the Schwarzschild geometry and used the hamilton-jacobi method.
It was quite interresting to compare the integral with the classical counterpart.

The full two-body problem may be more complicated to handle.
Including, even approximately, the fields of two masses and finding out the motion -and- the metric seems to me really much more complicated. Would you know about some paper on such calculations? At least to see how this can be treated.

I have also this related question:
If I treat this two-body problem in GR, how can I match the solution to the real world: how and why can I match this 2-body solution to a practical inertial frame? Where and how in the formulation could the inertial frame pop out? In the Newtonian counter-part the inertial frame is there by hypothesis, if needed inertial forces must be added. But in GR, how does that work?

Thanks

Michel

Physics news on Phys.org
In other words:

When I solve the two body problem (or even 1-body in Schwarzschild space),
why can I consider the solution can be applied to the precession of the perihelion of Mercury?
Mercury, the planets and the sun are an approximate inertial frame (center of mass).
When I solve this problem in GR, where is the hypothesis about the inertial frame of the solar system?

Thanks for a boost,

Michel

Solving the two-body problem in gtr?

Hi again, Michel,

lalbatros said:
When I solve the two body problem ... in GR

Wow, you certainly are enthusiastic for this 81 year old theory! And not lacking in self-confidence, if one reads literally :-/

Be warned that seeking an exact solution to the two-body problem in gtr is a somewhat quixotic goal. There is a well known solution called the "double Kerr solution", but this doesn't do what you want.

(Pedantic quibble: there has been some back and forth in the literature about a special case in which, some guessed, incorrectly, the so-called spin-spin force could hold two coaxial counterrotating black holes in equilibrium; this case apparently cannot occur, so that the solution features a presumbably nonphysical "strut", which you can think of as a massless rod which is nonetheless so strong that it can hold the two holes apart, a scenario which is about as suspicious as it sounds. Garbage in, garbage out. In this case, the "garbage" consists of apparently unphysical boundary conditions.)

On the other hand, you can certainly find (exactly, in closed form) the inertial frame of a test particle in a stable circular orbit in the Schwarzschild vacuum solution, and you can compute the tidal tensor as measured by such a particle and compare it with the tidal tensor of a radially infalling test particle, for example.

I can't make out from your question whether I just answered it, though.

Chris Hillman

1. What is the Two Body Problem in General Relativity?

The Two Body Problem in General Relativity (GR) is a famous problem in physics, which involves predicting the motion of two massive objects under the influence of their mutual gravitational attraction. In classical mechanics, this is known as the Kepler problem, but in GR, the equations of motion are much more complicated due to the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How is the Two Body Problem in GR different from the classical Kepler problem?

Unlike classical mechanics, where gravity is described by Newton's law of universal gravitation, GR describes gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of matter and energy. This means that in GR, the equations of motion are more complex and involve terms that take into account the curvature of space-time. Additionally, in GR, the mass and energy of the objects themselves also contribute to the curvature of space-time, making the problem even more challenging to solve.

3. What are some of the major challenges in solving the Two Body Problem in GR?

One of the main challenges in solving the Two Body Problem in GR is the complexity of the equations involved. GR equations are nonlinear and highly coupled, making it difficult to find exact solutions. Additionally, the equations are also highly sensitive to initial conditions, which means even small changes in the starting parameters can lead to vastly different outcomes.

4. Can the Two Body Problem in GR be solved analytically?

No, the Two Body Problem in GR cannot be solved analytically. This means that there is no closed-form solution that can be written down for the motion of two massive objects in GR. Instead, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solutions and make predictions about the motion of the objects.

5. How is the Two Body Problem in GR relevant to our understanding of the universe?

The Two Body Problem in GR has important implications for our understanding of the universe and the behavior of massive objects. It is essential in predicting the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies, which are all subject to the effects of gravity. Additionally, the study of the Two Body Problem in GR has led to groundbreaking discoveries in cosmology, such as the prediction of black holes and gravitational waves.