1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Body Problems

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'm currently learning how to solve two body problems and I'm having a little trouble with that. My question regards a certain example I found in The Physics Classroom web site that goes like this:

"A 5.0-kg and a 10.0-kg box are touching each other. A 45.0-N horizontal force is applied to the 5.0-kg box in order to accelerate both boxes across the floor. Ignore friction forces and determine the acceleration of the boxes and the force acting between the boxes."

I managed to find out the acceleration(3 m/s/s) but I don't understand how to find the force acting between the boxes. In the solution of this example they took the 10 kg boy and just calculated it's net force(30 N) and I undertood that but if I to calculate the net force acting on the 5 kg(15 N) body I'll get a different result entirly.

How can I determine the force acting between the boxes using the 5 kg box alone.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    See the attached,

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    I'm sorry but I bealive you forgot the attachment...

5. Oct 2, 2011 #4
    Right, sorry %^) And I normally preview stuff.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook