Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two bonds of nitrogen

1. Jan 5, 2016 #1
    Guys, I'm just thinking about how Nitrogen makes two bonds if it has 3 electrons in 2p orbital. I made a judgement that one electron from 2s orbital will transfer to one of 2p orbitals then there are two 2p orbitals which can make a bond? Is this correct or there is other mechanism?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2016 #2
    Nitrogen actually makes 3 bonds. 2 p-electrons form a sigma-bond and 2 x 2 p-electrons form 2 pi-bonds. The s-electrons are not binding.

4. Jan 6, 2016 #3

5. Jan 6, 2016 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

In nitric oxide, you have one additional electron, so you will get a 3-electron pi bond which is about half as strong as a 2 electron pi bond. So you will get an overall bond order of 2.5.

6. Jan 6, 2016 #5
    Can you just elaborate. Extra electron means tha nitrogen gains a electron then it makes a bond?

7. Jan 6, 2016 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

No, I meant that in nitric oxide you have one more valence electron as compared to dinitrogen.

8. Jan 6, 2016 #7
    The extra electron populates an anti-binding pi orbital. It belongs to the molecule and not to nitrogen or oxygen only.

9. Jan 9, 2016 #8
    Ohk to understand this concept should I first understand MOT

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook