1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two boxes accelerating

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Box 1 is placed on box 2, which sits on the floor. Kinetic friction constant between the boxes, and the box 2 and the floor, is equal u.

When box 1 is pushed with horizontal force F it starts to slide on box 2. At the same time, box 2 starts to move. What are the accelerations of the boxes.

2. Relevant equations
    Kinetic friction Fk=ukN
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    The top box (box 1):
    Force that accelerates (pushing minus friction)
    Fa=F-Fu=F-ukN
    and the acceleration
    a=[tex]\frac{F-u_{k}N}{m_{box1}}[/tex]

The lower box (box 2):

By the Newtons 3rd law the force that pushes the box 2 is the reaction of kinetic friction Fu between the boxes, right? Now this is where I face the problem: as the friction between box 2 and floor is the same but the weight is more (box1+box2) I get negative acceleration ?!? :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2
    Consider the limiting cases: The second box on a frictionless surface, and the second box fastened to the surface such that this box cannot move.

4. Jan 30, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Your kinetic friction arises because it is moving relative to the box underneath.

Now Kinetic friction is a retarding force given by the μ *m*g relationship.

The maximum force then that Box 1 can transfer to box 2 is just that.

As you note though box 2 has a retarding force available of μ *(m + m) * g.

Since μ *(2m)*g will always be > μ *m*g then I have serious doubt that the bottom box moves despite the statement of the problem. So I'd say it's not negative acceleration, just 0 movement.

5. Jan 30, 2009 #4
    Makes sense.

I don't see how it could move (especially to opposite direction)... I think it'd move (to positive drctn) only if the weight was <0 ... :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?