Why Does the Bucket on Keel 3 Tip to the Left?

• Thread starter torukojin
  • Start date
In summary: The cube with the heavier metal is tipped down. This is consistent with the assertion that the heavier metal has more weight.
torukojin
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
3. I see it tips to the left.Some say it is about density of water at 4 C degree some say it is about the evapouration of water . However I am not sure what the real reason is.
Can you please help me with that

upload_2018-7-28_21-39-29.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-28_21-38-23.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-28_21-38-23.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 483
  • upload_2018-7-28_21-39-29.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-28_21-39-29.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 722
Physics news on Phys.org
The diagram shows "1 l" (one liter) on the buckets. One assumes based on this and on the assertion that both buckets contain the same "amount of water" that there is an equal volume on both sides.

Likes Bystander
Bro thanks for the answer but the answer is to the left as u can see in the picture so there is more force to the left but why? Sbd help me please!

torukojin said:
equal volume

torukojin said:
I read it already he says there is equal volume of water in both. Can you explain why the keel tips to the left, genius friend?
You offered two explanations in post #1. Which of them, if either, is consistent with the buckets containing equal volumes of water (at the time that it tips)? Does it explain the tipping?

Likes jbriggs444
Dude, I am not saying the two options in explanation are correct.They are just guesses. Plz can u tell me why it tips to the left?

We are not here to confirm or refute guesses. You have to put in some effort.

Ever wondered why they cool rocket fuel before putting it in the rocket?

torukojin said:
, I am not saying the two options in explanation are correct
I understand that, but the onus is on you to provide some reasoning as to whether either could be.

I only said you should supply some reasoning, not that it had to be right.
Let me try a different tack: two cubes of metal, same size but different metals, are placed equidistant from the fulcrum. One side tips down. What can you say about that cube compared with the other?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of having two buckets on Keel 3?

The two buckets on Keel 3 are used to collect and sample seawater from different depths. This allows scientists to study the composition and properties of seawater at various depths.

How do the two buckets on Keel 3 work?

The buckets are attached to a winch system that can lower them into the water at different depths and then raise them back up to the surface. The buckets have openings that can be opened and closed remotely to collect water from specific depths.

What kind of data can be collected using the two buckets on Keel 3?

The buckets can collect samples of seawater, which can then be analyzed for temperature, salinity, dissolved oxygen levels, and other chemical and biological properties. This data can provide valuable insights into ocean dynamics and the health of marine ecosystems.

How is the data from the two buckets on Keel 3 used in research?

The data collected from the buckets is used to study oceanographic processes, such as water circulation patterns, nutrient cycling, and the impact of climate change on the ocean. This information is important for understanding and predicting the effects of human activities on the marine environment.

Are there any limitations to using the two buckets on Keel 3?

One limitation is that the buckets can only collect samples from a limited depth range. Also, the process of lowering and raising the buckets can cause disturbance to the surrounding water, which may affect the accuracy of the data collected. Additionally, the buckets can only collect samples at specific locations where the ship can access, limiting the coverage area for data collection.