1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two calc 3 questions

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataUsing the triangle inequality show that for all vectors a, b, c in R^n:

||a-b|| <= ||a - c || + ||c - b ||

(a, b, c are vectors)

2. Relevant equationsThe triangle inequality states:
    ||a+b|| <= ||a|| + ||b||

3. The attempt at a solutionIm really not sure what to do he made our first problem set due before we finished learning the information. I tried to do something with ||c|| = || sqrt (b^2 - a^c) || (by pythagorean theorem) but i wasn't able to come up with anything. Any guidance in the right direction would be helpful

------------------------------------------------------------

Also, we are given parametric equations in R^3 and have to determine if the lines are parallel, intersect, or are skew. I can't seeem to find this in the book. Any tips or hints on the general procedure?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2008 #2

danago

Gold Member

Isnt that result just the triangle inequality itself with the 'a' replaced by a-c and the b replaced with the c-b, so that the left hand side ends up being (a-c) + (c-b) = a-b?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  4. Sep 4, 2008 #3
    Yeah i guess it is but can you do that? How is a = a - c

Oh if you make b = a - c and a = c - b it works and if its a triangle that should be true. THanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?